Hofner Bass Guitars

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hofner Bass Guitars

Postby cockroach » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:12 am

My first electric guitar was a Hofner Club 40, bought in February 1965, which had that same odd sort of dog lead clip attachment for the strap fastening on the guitar body.

It was OK, being more secure than a strap button...pity about the guitar sound though...which was a nasty plonky noise like a bad banjo!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Dranna » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:42 pm

The Hofner ’62 reissue that I use has a wonderful sound! It’s full, deep, and with character.

I put a sleeve on the dog-clip end of the strap so it wouldn’t scratch the body of the guitar.

Regards,
Anna
Dranna

Postby Dranna » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:01 am

I played last night at a benefit with my old band, the all-girl Rhythm n' Babes. This was a big show on a large performance stage with singers and other bands. I hadn't played with the band for over a a year now, since they went full-time professional and I could no longer accomodate the regular rehearsals, shows, and gigs. However, each performing band had to have a doctor (the benefit was for kidney patients), so I played bass again after a rehearsal earlier in the week.

The band was quite surprised I brought the Hofner, since they felt a solid, more modern bass would be more appropriate. I used a red ESP Ltd with them before.

Anyway, just before the show, when I opened the guitar case for the sound checks, the house "techie" exclaimed "wow!" and pored over the guitar. The stage hand who set up the guitar on a stand at the stage before the show handled it like a Stradivarius. The other instrumentalists from the bands kept coming to examine it, marveling at the old-fashioned strap.

It sounded wonderful at the show, so full and melodic with such a range of tonal qualities. The theater has a very good house sound system with excellent sound engineers - a welcome change. The director was quite good too and paid attention to the volume and tonality of the bass and also whether I could hear it and the other instruments through the monitor. My friends in the audience said the notes came through cleanly and strongly, the Hofner changing character with the music. They said the vintage finish glowed on stage and stood out from the painted guitars. After the show, the lead guitarist of a band came to me to say he loved the sound. His bassist came later to same the same thing.

The bonus came after the show, outside the theater. A man approached me with his daughter (I think he was one of the other performers) and asked if his daughter could please touch the Hofner. The girl, perhaps 13 or so, was giddy with excitement. Of couse, I let her hold the guitar, while the father took pictures.

I just wanted to share that with you. We should be resuming Shadows practice soon (but for that I use the Precision!).

Best regards,

Anna
Dranna

Postby nick allen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:24 am

Re: John Lennon - he did use the Hofner (or similar - actually it could well have been a Fender) strap, with the addition of a shoelace or similar item, which was tied around the headstock, just behind the nut. I don't know how to post pictures, but look at any photo of John with the Gibson acoustic and you'll see it...
Nick
nick allen

Postby Mikey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I recently retro fitted a strap button to the heel of an old 1970s Epiphone model FR212 acoustic 12-string - an Ebay purchase I've been renovating. It took about 10 minutes to do and nearly 2 weeks delibration wondering whether or not I should or shouldn't tackle it! As it happens it went like a dream - phew!
Mikey

Postby abstamaria » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 am

That must have been scary, Mikey. Particularly for the first prick into the unblemished finish. Congratulations. I'm glad it went well.

Andres
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Hofner used last night!

Postby Dranna » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:08 am

After a long lay-off, I played with my old band for a party last night. I used my Hofner, and it was great!

As the members of my once all-amateur band immigrated or retired, professionals replaced them, and I found myself playing in a band that needed to gig and play all the time. So, about two or so years ago, needing to attend to my day job and my kids, I retired too. But last night, I played bass for them - for a straight set of 40-plus pieces! - and it was really fun. The place was jumping. I truly enjoy playing.

R&B TEMP.JPG
(194.52 KiB) Downloaded 13252 times

Sorry for the non-Shadows content, but I wanted to show you that my Hofner is not a museum piece!

Best.

Anna
Dranna

Postby Didier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Anna,

Enjoyable story. Thanks for sharing it !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Re: Hofner used last night!

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Dranna wrote:Sorry for the non-Shadows content, but I wanted to show you that my Hofner is not a museum piece!

Don't be sorry, Anna. This is the bass section of the site and the "topic" is bass! I'd love to have a Hofner bass for iconic reasons. But I am not left-handed!!

Anyway, Jet Harris started with the Shadows using a Framus. And in the latter years both Alan Jones and Mark Griffiths have done Shads gigs sporting a range of other basses. If it's not an issue for those guys, it needn't be one for us!

Feel free to talk as much bass as you like on here!

iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:23 pm

I use my Hofner Beatle bass all the time for recording, it's so easy to play, I love it and yes it is iconic. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Bass and Bass Players