Hofner Bass Guitars

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hofner Bass Guitars

Postby abstamaria » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:28 am

The quaint way the strap fastens to a '62 Hofner bass intrigued us, so we took and posted this picture in the Madeleine Cookie Company's Facebook profile. I thought you might find it interesting too. Most Hofners now use or have been switched to the usual strap retaining button. When the Hofner arrived early this year, I checked early Paul McCartney photos and was surprised he used this unusual strap arrangement as well; never noticed that before. The bass is a '62 reissue.

abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Hofner Bass Guitars

Postby Dranna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:43 am

I met two people on separate occassions, one a 53-year old and just recently a 14-year old. When they learned I use a Hofner, each one exclaimed, "with a vintge strap?" The 14-year old even knew that it wrapped around the guitar. That was surprising to me!

Regards!
Anna
Dranna

Postby Paul Creasey » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Not really qualified to comment (being "only a Drummer"!), except to say that our (lady) Bass Player - and my lovely Sister-in-Law - Kim, recently acquired a Hofner Bass Guitar.................and just LOVES it!
Regards
Paul.
P.S. .....AND it sounds GREAT, despite NOT being Fiesta Red!
Paul Creasey

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:57 pm

I am surprised that the Hofner Violin Bass is still not equipped with a strap button near the neck, though I was aware of the fact that early examples were not (and that Paul McCartney used the "strap around the end of the neck" method).

However, it is quite common for acoustic (and some archtop electric) guitars not to be fitted with a strap button at that end of the body. I have a Gibson J-50 and a J-200, neither of which was supplied with a button there (though I had them retro-fitted) and my ES-175, whilst it did have a button fitted on the back of the heel whe I got it (secondhand) clearly didn't have that feature originally (it's another obvious retro-fit).

I have (and have attached) a picture of British jazz-guitarist (the late) Dave Goldberg, playing another ES-175 and showing the method of fitting a strap (similar to the McCartney method).

http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=637

The photograph was scanned from a page in my copy of "The Jazz Guitar - Its Evolution and Its Players" by Maurice L Summerfield (Ashley Mark Publishing Co.; UK 1978). It is the copyright of one C. E. H. Smith.

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:06 pm

A warm welcome to the site , Anna.
Back in the 60s my best pal played an original Hofner bass in a Weymouth based group called the Teenbeats. When he got married he sold it to buy a motor bike. He's regretted it ever since - the sale that is, not his marriage :lol:
Incidentally, John Lennon used the same type of Hofner strap on his Gibson EJ-160. I have the Epiphone equivalent with a bulk standard strap.
Mikey

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Mikey,

Do you have a picture of John Lennon's J-160E being supported like the Violin Bass or ES-175?

I ask because both of those models have space under the end of the fretboard which is where a strap or cord loop can be fitted. There is no such gap on the J-160E, which is of standard flat-top construction.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Dranna » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Hello again!

Paul, I agree that the Hofner has a beautiful sound. I'm also glad to learn that your sister-in-law plays the bass, and on a Hofner. Perhaps she could register on the site so we could compare notes.

JimN, the Hofner did arrive with strap buttons packed separately. I would have had to drill a hole, but I decided I would go fully vintage and use the "Paul McCartney" strap including the dog-leash clip at the other end. The Gibson J200 we use doesn't have a strap button either, so our rhythm guitarist attaches the strap to the headstock.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mikey!

Bye for now!
Anna
Dranna

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm

[quote="

Do you have a picture of John Lennon's J-160E being supported like the Violin Bass or ES-175?

[]JN[/b][/quote]
Jim
There are many pictures on the net but I was unable to get a really clear one. However, I seem to recall having read it some where and here is the quote:
"Great For live play and recording. Hardware is great (except those tuning machines and even they are more than adequate). This instrument is put together very well. The finish is thick which is very good and in keeping with the specs of the Gibson J-160E, should last a lifetime. Good solid strap button (Remember there is only one. Use a Hofner Beatle Bass strap because that's the one John used). This is a very dependable guitar and I use it constantly on stage.
It was a Harmony central review of the Epiphone EJ160 John Lennon Signature which is one of the guitars I currently own.
Mikey

Postby Paul Creasey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 am

Hello, Anna - and welcome!

My Hofner (and Fender) playing sis-in-law IS a member on here, although hasn't posted even though she registered in mid-September last year. Her Forum name is "skim", and I'm sure she'd appreciate a private message to start some sort of "Girlie, Bass-ie" dialogue!
I DO know that Kim acquired the Hofner on account of it's (comparative) light-weight, having had a White Burns Bass a while ago - now that REALLY was a heavy beast!
Next time I'm in touch with Kim, (one half of our family - and Band - is in Lincoln, the other in Sheffield) I'll mention you to her, and pass-on your regards in the hope that you can compare notes.

Best wishes,
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby THUMPER » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:16 am

Hello Everybody,
As a new member I am just picking up on various themes. In the early sixties I played both a Violin and a Senator, how I wish I had kept them. Neither bass was supplied with a front strap button although I did fit one to the heel of the Senator as I always thought that the strap around the headstock was quite restricting. I have a Epiphone Viola which I have also fitted a heel button on.
Kindest Regards Neil
THUMPER

Full Real Name: Neil Straughan

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players