GREAT LOSS

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

GREAT LOSS

Postby shadowmaniacs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 am

Today we lost our best rock singer in France at 74 : Johnny Hallyday
A fantastic career and more the sense of great concerts and the respect of all his fans.
More than 100 million records sold.
RIP Johnny

Michel

JH2.jpg
One of my favourite EP
(161.48 KiB) Downloaded 4636 times
Bassist on french bands SHOTGUN Ltd. ( Shadows cover band ) & APOLLO 11 ( Spotnicks cover band ).
shadowmaniacs

Full Real Name: Michel HENAUX

Re: GREAT LOSS

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Yes, as Elvis ruled in the US and Cliff in the UK, so did Johnny Halliday in France. RIP.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: GREAT LOSS

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm

I took a two-week holiday in Nice in August 1978 and I attended a Johnny Hallyday open-air concert there. The concert was delayed by about 90 minutes because Hallyday's airplane, flying in from Paris, was late for some reason. There was an announcement in French when the concert was supposed to begin, but I didn't understand much of it. Fortunately one of the people around me spoke a little English and explained the situation to me.

I have two Johnny Hallyday LPs. One was recorded in the USA and is entitled Rock A Memphis. It has a very swinging French version of It'll Be Me. I bought this LP in Las Palmas in the 1970s. The other LP is entitled La terre promise. (Elvis Presley's Promised Land is on the album in French.)

Few people know about Johnny Hallyday in Finland and as far as I know he never had a hit here, nor did he ever give a concert here. His death was reported in the media, though. For those whose French is as poor as mine, there's a good obituary about Johnny Hallyday in The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... 9515b99f1a
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Return to People