Joe Rankin?

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Joe Rankin?

Postby RayL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:19 am

Page 11 of Mo Foster's British Rock Guitar book has a picture of Hank's schoolboy scrapbook, where he has doodled the instruments and personnel for his 'Riverside Skiffle Group'.
Joe Rankin.JPG

Top of the list of players is 'Banjo - Hank Rankin' . At the bottom is 'Bass - Joe Rankin'. Joe Rankin? Hank's brother? What do we know about Joe? Was he older or younger? Did he ever play in other groups? Hank is usually quoted as joining Bruce's Railroaders Skiffle group from the Crescent City Skiffle Group. Was there really a 'Riverside Skiffle Group' or was this no more than Hank doodling?

Incidentally, page 10 has a picture of a fresh-faced Licorice playing a tea-chest bass with a 'neck' that doesn't just use a broom handle - it uses the whole broom, head and all!
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Joe Rankin?

Postby JimN » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 am

Joe has been mentioned from time to time, starting, if I recall correctly, with a reference in a 1980 BBC radio programme called "It Was In Tune When I Bought It".

Joe is indeed Hank's younger brother, and again, if I recall correctly, was once an industrial chemist living and working in the Luton (Beds.) area. Whether he was ever a functioning member of Hank's skiffle group is not so clear. I also have an idea that he and his family have moved to Australia.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Moderne » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Joe did some writing with Hank - several H. Marvin/J. Rankin compositions appeared on Hank's Words and Music LP in 1982.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby RayL » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks, Jim and Clive.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby bor64 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 pm

If I'm not mistaken he attended Hanks last solo show in the Palladium.
He was seated on the lower left "vip" balcony opposite lower the right "vip" balcony Cliff and Cilla were seated.
Didn't he played drums?

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Return to People