Eddie van Halen

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Eddie van Halen

Postby RUSSET » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi,
Just noticed a newspaper headline stating that Eddie van Halen died yesterday at the age of 65 in California. Sad loss of a very talented guitarist, whether or not he was in the style of our website.

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: Eddie van Halen

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:05 pm

His music never did anything for me, I live in the 'Less is more' camp,but he was a talented guitarist and I believe a talented classical pianist. 65's no age now and it's another sad loss to music.

R.I.P.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby RUSSET » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Len,
I quite agree. I know of his reputation rather than his music. It was far away from my era of growing up & teenage nostalgia. I guess he was a guitar god for young folks way after I was even listening to music; being too busy bringing up a family & paying a mortgage. I'm glad I experienced the '60s when I did.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby bor64 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 pm

Eddie, shacked up the music scene and got the focus back to the guitar instead of the disco etc.
He was responsible to create a other/new type of guitar fittings...a strat with a humbucker and not that long after that a proto- floydrose trem.
I can remember how eruption let peoples jaw drop on the ground, kinda like Hank did with Apache in 1960...although miles apart in style and sound or tone.
RIP 020 Dutchy!

Rob&Anja
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:50 am

His influence on guitarists and rock music in general was enormous. Certainly the most influential rock guitarist since Hendrix. After 1978, and with the release of Van Halen's first album, everything changed. I saw Van Halen at the NEC in Birmingham in 1993, on what was (I believe) the first night of their UK tour. Amazing band and, yes, everyone was shouting "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!" before the band came on! It's unlikely and unfeasible that there will ever be another guitarist as significant and influential within the realms of rock and pop.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:18 pm

Interesting stuff here...

EVH home studio tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzyxHnN7HM
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Twilight Ranger » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:26 am

I had never heard of this guitarist until I saw a short report of his career and death in a Finnish newspaper. A complete unknown to me.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Return to People