Alan Hull

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Alan Hull

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:28 am

An interesting feature on Alan Hull, celebrated songwriter and front man of Lindisfarne earlier this evening on BBC4 (repeated at 02.00 on Saturday). Of course, there's no direct connection with the Shadows, other than Newcastle upon Tyne and Rutherford Grammar School - to which there was no reference!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Alan Hull

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:40 am

I'm a massive fan of Alan Hull and Lindisfarne and used to see all their live concerts before he sadly died and even afterwards when they continued. They are one of my favourite bands along side The Shadows, E.L.O, Dire Straits and quite a few others.
For years I have had no one favourite because there are so many variants in music, I suppose really I enjoy anything that's tasteful, melodic and good. From The Carpenters, Abba to Shirley Bassey & Joe Cocker - I love music. It's good as a musician to be versatile. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Alan Hull

Postby djnevster » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi Bill also saw this one too, what a really good programme, and great to see the mutual respect between the generations and some genuine appreciation from young Sam Fender

The show brought back some great personal memories from sixth form trips to Newcastle City Hall for the annual Christmas concerts to the glimpses of Lindisfarne playing at the old St. James Park (with Bob Dylan and Santana) in the early 1980’s. I remember walking towards the ground for this show on a hot summer’s day and passing a guy sat on the doorway of The Strawberry pub enjoying a pint of beer in the sun. It was Simon from Lindisfarne not long before they were due on stage!
More recently just prior to the lockdown was I lucky to catch Rod Clements and Rab Noakes playing an intimate gig to only about 50 people at the Sedgefield Manor House and then a few months later saw Dave Hull-Denholm at the same venue performing “The Alan Hull Songbook”
Neville
djnevster

Full Real Name: Neville Worthington

Return to People