Life is short

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Life is short

Postby drakula63 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:12 am

Possibly my last post here before the forum becomes 'read only'.

In quite a reflective mood at the moment.

No names, of course, but I was informed on Thursday that an old friend of mine had died very suddenly and unexpectedly. He was only 58. We met at school in 1978 and I introduced him to the music of the Shadows. Although we didn't actually get to see the Shads together until 2004, I long since lost count of the number of hours we sat together and either listened or talked about them! Like me he was a drummer and his absolute hero - and in his opinion the best drummer to come out of the UK - was Brian Bennett. After the show in Nottingham in 2004 we both had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Brian and extending to him our appreciation. Prior to that we had seen Hank on his solo shows many times. But that night in 2004 was unforgettable. When I met Brian again in 2013, I asked him to sign a couple of photos for my mate, which he did, and he duly had them framed and hung in his house near the hi-fi. I know that Brian was his inspiration.

Like me he had been waiting for Brian's autobiography to come out and was looking forward to reading it. Sadly, this, for him, will now never be possible.

I hadn't seen him for a few years - not since about 2016 as a matter of fact - but news of his passing has left me feeling quite shaken and sad.

By the sound of it, he was planning on retiring this year and emigrating to warmer climes. Again, sadly, this will now never happen.

It's at times like this I ponder on things and I realise that life is short and very unpredictable. I happen to know that Hank's version of Moon River will be played at his funeral. Hard to be sure what his favourite Shads albums were now, but I recall Jigsaw being a particular favourite, as was Rockin' with Curly Leads, Change of Address and the MWF albums.

So, another one gone. And those magical years of the late 1970s seem even further away. Don't know what else to say.

R.I.P.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Life is short

Postby Dance with Shadows » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:24 am

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

For the good times!

Michael
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby bazmusicman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:43 am

So sorry to hear of your loss of a good friend. I am 80 now and I know how it feels having lost a few friends along this road called life.
It makes you realise that, no matter how smooth things are, it can all change in an instant.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:22 am

So sad to read this Chris, I know too well how this feels having lost many friends i gained in the music business and many of them through our mutual admiration of the music of The Shadows, it is endless' and at my age these happenings are more frequent. Regarding our plans over the years, I guess we all have 'ideal' situations that we would like to make happen, I'm no exception, which is why I try to push through every idea I get over acquiring something that I desire or go somewhere nice, but although you do your best to achieve these things, there are always obstacles, more recently it was Covid that put paid to my travel plans and it's taking some effort to try and get back on track again. As far as my music is concerned, we have suffered health issues which has disrupted the band greatly, but we soldier on with what we have and fortunately, I still enjoy entertaining, though not as many gigs as pr-covid. It all reminds me of the words John Lennon wrote in one of his songs, not long before his murder, in a song on his Double Fantasy album 'Darling Sean' when he said 'Life is what happens to you , whilst you're busy making other plans'. Those words are 100% spot on - We soldier on and cope regardless. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby drakula63 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:47 pm

Thanks everyone.

One of my strongest memories, for some reason, was in 1982, when he came to stay with us and we went off into town to buy the Life in the Jungle / Live at Abbey Road LPs. Bought the first lot... took them home and one of them jumped. Took them back, got two more... took them home and one of them jumped. Did this yet again and again one of them jumped! Walked into town yet again (again!) and this time decided to get the double cassette instead. Walked home. Played it. Perfect!

What makes it doubly or trebly sad is that he lost both his parents to covid in 2021. Dave, I think you met him outside the Royal Concert Hall after a Hank concert... possibly in 2000. Dave Martin certainly met him, as did Hoffers and 'Waffles' on that night. A great night!

Anyway, that's it. At 60 I can already say, sadly, that I have lost about half a dozen friends and one parent. And uncles aunties and grandparents.

As I say... Life is short and it's frightening how time flies. And how much changes so quickly.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:23 am

I don't remember it vividly Chris, but I remember meeting you and David Martin was there too, it was a Hank concert before the Shads reformed and you're right, Waffles was there too. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to People