Rant for Today

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Rant for Today

Postby anniv 63 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Just noticed on You Tube there is some footage of Nokie Edwards playing during
his recent Japanese Tour last month.
What I find to be a bit rude and annoying is that on one clip Nokie is obviously cutting
and trimming a fingernail prior to starting this set number. Surely the cameraman could
have turned off the video or edited this out.
As anyone who has met Nokie , knows that he is an extremely polite and courteous gentleman
who would never wish to offend any person, but for me its rude and a bit impolite to include
really what should be a private couple of minutes before he started his set.
Anyone else agree?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Re: Rant for Today

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm

What's even worse is someone drawing attention to it - priceless ! :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm

As my first boss said to me when I joined the BBC all those years ago, "never say anything near a microphone that you wouldn't want your granny to hear: you never know whether it's on or not". Same rule for cameras!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Remember the Shadows Final Tour DVD, where the camera reveals that Cliff Hall is not actually playing the synth at the start of 'Mountains of the Moon' ? This should not have gone in. In my opinion. It was one of the few (probably the only) moments where he was miming to a sequenced track. A shame that this went in as it may have suggested to people that this was the case throughout.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I believe that the editing of the Final Tour DVD was supervised by the Shadows so I doubt that they are worried. I'd also say that Brian's headphones are a dead giveaway and visible to the audience.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby drakula63 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:I believe that the editing of the Final Tour DVD was supervised by the Shadows so I doubt that they are worried. I'd also say that Brian's headphones are a dead giveaway and visible to the audience.

Was Brian wearing headphones? To be honest, I was sitting in the front row in Nottingham and I didn't notice! Whoever edited or supervised the edit, it was a mistake, in my opinion, as it draws attention to something that probably would have gone unnoticed otherwise.
drakula63

Postby JimN » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:19 pm

It is difficult to see how anyone could fail to notice that "live performances" of Mountains of The Moon are essentially identical (and I mean identical!) to the relevant parts of the recordings by Brian Bennett (Bruton Music) and The Shadows.

The BB and Shadows versions are not themselves identical (obviously), but they share a backing track - and that same track is used for live performances. Unmistakeable.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:48 pm

Yeah but let's not forget that we are talking about being at a concert, probably in a not unexcited state of mind, enjoying a gig that we never expected to happen and trying to take in everything at once.

I for one didn't realise they were playing to backing until I watched the DVD. The level of scrutiny that such things afford is far greater than is possible in a venue, when the moment passes so quickly and you may not be capable of taking everything in as it happens. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking like this. Repeated viewings (and listenings) reveal much, but I wonder how many people can honestly say that, on the night, they thought 'they're miming'. Obvious, I suppose, if you were familiar with the studio recordings, but I suspect that many weren't.

I stand by my comment that drawing our attention to it, when they didn't have to, with a medium close up on Mr Hall at that exact moment was... not something I would have done.
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:26 pm

OK, Chris. You have made the same point three times. You think the Shadows made a mistake releasing the DVD in that form.
Please can we move on now?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby MikeAB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:01 am

The unnecessary showing of the MOTM mime has always niggled me too especially as I think Cliff does play the middle bit (?), as it sounds very different, but that kind of thing is common in live shows (eg The Who) and gives a better and more
record-like show for a modern audience. I also feel showing the lad banging his head was an avoidable mistake - for any number of reasons. And Brian's ovation is cut off too soon, and -----, and------, etc etc.

We are too sensitive as fans probably, maybe because we come from a generation who were told their idols couldn't play!
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Next

Return to People