Unsung Heroes & Heroines

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Unsung Heroes & Heroines

Postby Paul Creasey » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Following David Martin's suggestion on the (North Notts) Club Area of the Forum, I am delighted to start this new topic with copies from a couple of posts already placed on there:

by Graham C. Marshall » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:24 am » Post #2

I am one of the many people who attend this club at Whitwell. I'm pretty certain that everyone that goes comes away feeling that they have had a great time and eagerly anticipate the next meeting in two months. Most will be unaware of the understated management style of Pete Richardson and the affect that has on the smooth running of the club. Pete is quite laid back and not given to being officious but can, if necessary, make his feelings felt if someone starts playing silly 'b's'.

North Notts is extremely lucky to have Laura Richardson involved. The day before a club meeting Laura can be found frantically baking a whole host of delicious things such as: cheese scones; cheese and onion quiche; sausage rolls; lemon cake and much more. These she sells at prices that barely cover costs and do not reflect the time and effort she puts in.

Come along and see us at the New Middle Club at Whitwell; you're sure of a warm welcome. Bring only your guitars as amps and drums are provided. Club members help set up the equipment and man the desk. They also solve various sound problems that arise from time to time. Some of them even create them.

I'll see you there.Graham C. Marshall

by Paul Creasey » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:35 am » Post #3

WELL SAID, Graham!

During the time that I've been back "in the fold" playing Shads-style music, I've often paused to think about the many "Unsung Heroes" amongst the friends I've made. Pete, Laura, and the rest of the North Notts Team are most definately "on the list".
As you say, Pete's understated management style is highly effective and very much appreciated - he has also been most helpful to our Band in other ways totally unconnected with the North Notts club.
As they say "behind every successful man....." - and in this case it is most certainly true - Laura's smiling face and welcoming comments are only the tip of a VERY large (and in this case, untypically warm) iceberg that includes all the hard work she does "under the surface" in the Catering Department.

VERY MANY Thanks, Pete & Laura - and long may you continue with the sterling work that you do for the benefit of us all!
Kindest regards
Paul

I trust, and feel sure, that this will be the first of many, many, "Unsung Hero (or Heroine)" Posts on Shadow Music!
Paul Creasey

Re: Unsung Heroes & Heroines

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:03 am

One of my unsung heroes is Richard Cowling from the East Yorks Club...

Richard is a lefty - which makes guitar choice difficult to start with - and couldn't play a note when I first met him... perhaps 10 years ago? Over the years he has persevered and is now a fine player with an intuitive feel for this magical music. Add to that his management of the web presence of the club on MSN and later its successor, his modesty and willingness to get stuck in and help... so he's a real inspiration.

(And behind every great man... the lovely Irene! I do miss seeing you both...)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:19 am

The "other than Hank & Bruce" person who got me started on guitar playing is David Parton.

He attended the same school as me - and the rest of the Zig Zags - but was just a little older... he played in the group at my first Youth Club - St Michael's at Cross Heath, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. Together with Chris, Sid and Johnny he whipped up a storm on his Burns Artiste (later a Harmony H77) ... I used to blag my way into their practices in the tin hut which was the church hall. Des was always generous with demo's and advice. Chris the bass player, however, would turn his back so i couldn't see how to do things...

I lost touch when I left home to train as a teacher ... but then, magically, watching Top Of The Pops one night, I recognised his fingers (I had studied them a good deal... long and boney...) and there he was on the TV... singing ....

The accompanying info says...
"David Parton had a solo chart hit in the UK with his cover of Isnt She Lovely.

David Parton composed UK # 1 hit Sad Sweet Dreamer & Purely By Coincidence that were hits for Sweet Sensation in the early 70`s."

I would dearly love to contact him. I wonder if he went to OZ with Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent (another local)....

Anyone know?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Paul Creasey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:22 pm

Nomination for the "Shadow Music Unsung Heroes & Heroines Hall of Fame":

GLYN V. LEFLEY.

Glyn is to be found playing Rhythm Guitar at every East Yorks meeting - often playing for most (sometimes ALL!) of the afternoon providing solid, Bruce-like, rhythm backing for those Lead Guitarists who have spent HOURS in Studios/Bedrooms perfecting their versions of "That Sound". His quiet, unassuming, professionalism is - I feel sure - appreciated by everyone at East Yorks, but a bit of "public" recognition never goes amiss in these circumstances.

Glyn was kind enough to "deputise" for my Son, Dave, at a Gig "Life Story" did in Lincolnshire last Saturday evening. Dave was carousing elsewhere, but Glyn stepped-in - even travelling to High Green (Sheffield) to do a couple of rehearsals with us - and played wonderfully in what proved to be less than perfect circumstances.

Really nice Rhythm Player - and REALLY nice Guy. Thanks, Glyn!!

Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby petercreasey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Paul Creasey wrote:Nomination for the "Shadow Music Unsung Heroes & Heroines Hall of Fame":

GLYN V. LEFLEY.

Glyn is to be found playing Rhythm Guitar at every East Yorks meeting - often playing for most (sometimes ALL!) of the afternoon providing solid, Bruce-like, rhythm backing for those Lead Guitarists who have spent HOURS in Studios/Bedrooms perfecting their versions of "That Sound". His quiet, unassuming, professionalism is - I feel sure - appreciated by everyone at East Yorks, but a bit of "public" recognition never goes amiss in these circumstances.

Glyn was kind enough to "deputise" for my Son, Dave, at a Gig "Life Story" did in Lincolnshire last Saturday evening. Dave was carousing elsewhere, but Glyn stepped-in - even travelling to High Green (Sheffield) to do a couple of rehearsals with us - and played wonderfully in what proved to be less than perfect circumstances.

Really nice Rhythm Player - and REALLY nice Guy. Thanks, Glyn!!

Regards
Paul

Seconded, Thirded and Fourthed.... a VERY VERY nice man
Thanks for all your hard work Glyn
Peter Kim & Charlotte
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby David Martin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 am

David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby David Martin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:51 am

And now the TV show turns up on YouTube

And here's a track he wrote and produced:-

David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby rogb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Dave
David (DES) Parton does a few gigs local to me I'll make a few calls I'm sure I can get a contact for him
Remember "The cyril Dagworth Players"
Brixham Harbour my all time fav song to play
Rog

Ps
He sniped me on a guitar when he had "lovely" in the charts
I left a deposit on a gibbo 345 & when I went back a couple of hrs later He'd been in & the young lad had let him take it
my old chap went mad & I ended up with the pick of the shop for the same price
rogb

Full Real Name: Roger Bell

Return to People