Jeff Kruger R.I.P.

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Jeff Kruger R.I.P.

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue May 27, 2014 1:36 pm

The Flamingo Club at the Mapleton Hotel was one of Jet's early haunts, with Tony Crombie often credited as introducing him to the bass guitar.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 28501.html

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Jeff Kruger R.I.P.

Postby anniv 63 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 pm

An interesting and informative obituary on his contribution to music in general.
Ember Records certainly had a wide roster of acts for an independent label in the 60s
John Barry, Dave Clark Five, Carter Lewis, Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde were some of
the better known names that recorded for the company in the 60s.
Even a budget album from the Shadows curiously appeared on that label in1975,it being
an MFP reissue I think?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 am

anniv 63 wrote:Even a budget album from the Shadows curiously appeared on that label in1975,it being
an MFP reissue I think?

Mike

Indeed, first issued on Music For Pleasure in 1970...

http://www.discogs.com/Shadows-The-Shad ... se/3884033

Also, there's an interesting reference to Johnny Carson, Cliff's cousin (!), who made five singles between 1960-62.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby RayL » Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 am

Ah! The Flamingo Club - takes me back to the summer of 1964. I was working in Cardiff and had got to know a local rhythm & blues band, The Sons Of Adam (anyone in the South Wales area remember them?)

After their Saturday night gig at the Victoria Ballroom on the Cowbridge Road, we piled in the van and drove to London to see the Downliners Sect do their Sunday afternoon gig at the Studio 51 in Great Newport Street and then on to the Flamingo for the evening show. The name of the band playing that night has slipped my memory for now, but it was a great night. Then in the van for the overnight run back to Cardiff (no M4 in those days) and to work on the Monday morning feeling knackered!
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to People