Cilla at the BBC

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Cilla at the BBC

Postby Mary » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:19 pm

I have just finished watching Cilla at the BBC on BBC4. The part that may interest this group was Cilla singing Norwegian Wood with Marvin, Welch and Farrar. It was quite a surprise and it was good to see a performance from MWF from over 40 years ago. It is bound to be on the IPlayer shortly if you didn't get the chance to watch tonight.
Mary

Re: Cilla at the BBC

Postby drakula63 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 am

That's good news. I wish I'd watched it now. I honestly didn't think they'd show that clip. Oh well, me of little faith.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:52 am

The vocal harmonies were simply terrific.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 am

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, and I'm not alone in this, I can assure you, that MWF were far better vocalists than Lennon, McCartney and Harrison. Sorry to all Beatles fans for that one. Such a shame that MWF never received the recognition they truly deserved. Still, this is perhaps the first step in putting that right?
drakula63

Postby iefje » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:20 pm

drakula63 wrote:There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, and I'm not alone in this, I can assure you, that MWF were far better vocalists than Lennon, McCartney and Harrison. Sorry to all Beatles fans for that one. Such a shame that MWF never received the recognition they truly deserved. Still, this is perhaps the first step in putting that right?

In any case, The Shadows are far better instrumentally than The Beatles. In my opinion The Beatles became better instrumentally during the second half of their career. Not better than The Shadows, but better than they were at the start of their career.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:17 pm

As Mrs Merton might have trilled "Let's have a heated debate"!
For me, I rate both MWF and the Fab Four highly. Whether one or other is "better" than the other is debatable and in some ways irrelevant but if you're saying MWF deserved greater recognition, I agree.
Mikey

Postby kipper » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:52 am

Mikey wrote:As Mrs Merton might have trilled "Let's have a heated debate"!
For me, I rate both MWF and the Fab Four highly. Whether one or other is "better" than the other is debatable and in some ways irrelevant but if you're saying MWF deserved greater recognition, I agree.

agree with this entirely doesn't have to be one better than other they along with lots others were great and gave us all so much. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby drakula63 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am

Putting everything else aside, I simply believe that The Shadows were always better singers than the Beatles. You only have to listen to them to hear that.

Not knocking the Fab Four, as they conquered the world, and rightly so, but the Shads were better singers.

P.S. Someone just sent me a copy of the Cilla at the BBC programme, so hopefully I shall be watching it tonight.

Cheerio!
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:47 pm

The Shadows' dads were bigger than the Beatles' dads.....
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Steve Parish » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Iain_P wrote:The Shadows' dads were bigger than the Beatles' dads.....

:lol:

Steve Parish

Next

Return to People