Blue Jeans a Swinging album

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Blue Jeans a Swinging album

Postby howarddobson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Hello everyone

Just been listening to the Blue Jeans a Swinging album from the Swinging Blue Jeans - which includes covers of the Shads' Don't It Make You Feel Good and That's the Way It Goes.

So were the tracks written for the SBJs and then covered by the Shads themselves or did the SBJs hear them and cover them? Anyone know?

They certainly underline how the Shads were part of the Merseybeat! Rory Storm and the Hs also covered Jet Black.
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Re: Blue Jeans a Swinging album

Postby Moderne » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 pm

That's the Way it Goes was a single for Frank Ifield in 1961. As The Shads and Frank were managed by Peter Gormley and they were writing a lot for Cliff and themselves at the time, I would guess Peter suggested they write something for Frank. They also wrote the Babes in The Wood panto score a few years later which starred Frank. Frank recently chose Apache as one of the 'Tracks of my Years' on Radio 2, so they clearly had a strong association. I've seen a photo of them all somewhere - I think Frank's leg was in plaster!
Don't It Make You Feel Good, as far as I know, was just written as an LP track for Dance With The Shadows. They obviously decided that DIMYFG and TTWIG would make good contemporary sounding 'Merseybeat-esque' tracks and I guess the Swinging Blue Jeans decided to cover them.
I definitely prefer them to the vocals on Sound of The Shadows which sound quite old-fashioned in a Bachelors sort of way...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:03 pm

I am sure I read somewhere that both the SBJ and The Shadows ,had stayed together at the old
Campsie Glen Hotel at Blanefield near Glasgow.
Possibly it might have been 1964 when both groups were about to release the mentioned albums.
No doubt at that point, both bands would have been keenly interested in current and commercial
beat group vocals.
Maybe the SBJ heard a preview of the 2 Hank&Bruce songs and decided they would be ideal for
inclusion on Blue Jeans A Swinging?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:08 pm

anniv 63 wrote:I am sure I read somewhere that both the SBJ and The Shadows ,had stayed together at the old
Campsie Glen Hotel at Blanefield near Glasgow.
Possibly it might have been 1964 when both groups were about to release the mentioned albums.
No doubt at that point, both bands would have been keenly interested in current and commercial
beat group vocals.
Maybe the SBJ heard a preview of the 2 Hank&Bruce songs and decided they would be ideal for
inclusion on Blue Jeans A Swinging?
Mike

I too vaguely remember this (though I couldn't remember which hotel it was), reported in one of the newspapers or musical press publications of the time.

Ray Ennis of the SBJs told the story that both groups were fans of Buddy Holly and that he had produced a portable record player with a pile of Buddy's records, with the bands getting on like a house on fire.

If they didn't take the opportunity to swap songs then, it'd be hard to see when they would have done it (except maybe during chance encounters at Abbey Road).
Last edited by JimN on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:41 am

JimN wrote: both groups were fans of Buddy Holly and that he had produced a portable record player with a pile of Buddy's records, with the bands getting on like a house on fire.

Perhaps they did the 'Buddy Challenge'? This is between two musicians where each in turn has to sing and play a verse and chorus from a Buddy Holly song. The loser is the one who drops out first because they can't think of another song to play. You can do the same with Elvis songs . . . . .

. . . . . hey, maybe two Shadows bands could try it as a challenge? Both on stage at the same time and each has to play 30 seconds of a Shadows tune (no repeats) until the loser drops out . . . . . very entertaining for the audience!
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby howarddobson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:50 pm

It's quite a line up of classics - the two Shads songs are in good company. Wonder if they were considered as single potential.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Ol'Man Mose" Louis Armstrong, Zilner Randolph 3:12
2. "Save the Last Dance for Me" Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman 2:58
3. "That's The Way It Goes" Hank Marvin; Bruce Welch; 2:43
4. "Around and Around" Chuck Berry 2:14
5. "It's All Over Now" Bobby & Shirley Womack 2:06
6. "Long Tall Sally" Enotris Johnson, Robert Blackwell, Richard Penniman 1:50
7. "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" Lloyd Price 1:46
8. "Some Sweet Day" Felice and Boudleaux Bryant 2:12
9. "It's So Right" Les Braid, Norman Kuhlke, Ralph Ellis, Ray Ennis 2:03
10. "Don't It Make You Feel Good" Welch, Marvin 1:48
11. "All I Want Is You" Jim Ireland, John Chilton 2:16
12. "Tutti Frutti" Dorothy LaBostrie, Joe Lubin, Little Richard 2:00
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Can I make a correction Howard . Its All Over Now is not the Stones/ Bobby Womack number, but
with the same title its written by Wally Whyton of Vipers fame , so another Shads connection!!!

Cheers
Mike
anniv 63

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 pm

anniv 63 wrote:Can I make a correction Howard . Its All Over Now is not the Stones/ Bobby Womack number, but
with the same title its written by Wally Whyton of Vipers fame , so another Shads connection!!!

Cheers
Mike

Well spotted. Wally's song was also recorded by Adam Faith, a 2i's regular, for a Parlophone album in 1961.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:41 pm

While checking out the SBJ album in the stereo version, you have the very wide separation of
the vocal and instrumental channels.
Turning the balance to the instruments only, you not only hear the faint echo of the famous Abbey Road
Chamber, but you can appreciate some of the excellent crisp rhythm and bass playing on these tracks!!!
Something to do on a dull January day!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Postby John Boyd » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm

Good morning all,
While looking trough my SBJ CDs, I came across their 'French'EP Collection' on Magic Records, which includes an instrumental,
'Wasting Time'. Just wondering if they recorded any other instros?
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Next

Return to People