OT - John Pearse - Hold Down a Chord

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: OT - John Pearse - Hold Down a Chord

Postby Steve Parish » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Excellent! That name rings a bell!
I'm guessing this is the same John Pearse who brought out a superb book showing and detailing (with pictures) guitar chords, shapes, where to put your fingers on the fretboard etc..
I learnt how to play chords and rhythm guitar via this book.
How else could I learn diminished, augmented, ninth, eleventh and thirteenth chords?!
The name of the book escapes me, and I don't have the book anymore, regrettably.
Even though I'm a drummer, being able to play chords on the guitar (and obviously I have a sense of rhythm) has proved invaluable for song writing in various local bands, playing original material.
I can get by on piano, song writing wise, but guitar is easier for me. And it's very difficult to compose songs on the drums!
Plus, thinking back, what attracted me to the band originally, as a twelve year old in 1994... was the sound of the acoustic guitar. Bruce.
I think that THAT SOUND, doesn't just mean Hank. For me, when I think of THAT SOUND, it means Hank, Bruce, Jet, Tony, Brian, Licorice, John and everybody else who have contributed to the sound of the Shadows over the years.
It's the whole sound.
The Shadows.
:)
Steve Parish

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:01 am

Steve Parish wrote:Excellent! That name rings a bell!
I'm guessing this is the same John Pearse who brought out a superb book showing and detailing (with pictures) guitar chords, shapes, where to put your fingers on the fretboard etc..
I learnt how to play chords and rhythm guitar via this book.
How else could I learn diminished, augmented, ninth, eleventh and thirteenth chords?!

From Bert Weedon's "Play In A Day", of course. ;)

Steve Parish wrote:The name of the book escapes me, and I don't have the book anymore, regrettably.

It was "Hold Down A Chord"!

Steve Parish wrote:Even though I'm a drummer, being able to play chords on the guitar (and obviously I have a sense of rhythm) has proved invaluable for song writing in various local bands, playing original material. I can get by on piano, song writing wise, but guitar is easier for me. And it's very difficult to compose songs on the drums!
Plus, thinking back, what attracted me to the band originally, as a twelve year old in 1994... was the sound of the acoustic guitar. Bruce.
I think that THAT SOUND, doesn't just mean Hank. For me, when I think of THAT SOUND, it means Hank, Bruce, Jet, Tony, Brian, Licorice, John and everybody else who have contributed to the sound of the Shadows over the years.
It's the whole sound.
The Shadows.
:)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Steve Parish » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:37 am

It was called Hold Down A Chord?
Ah, yes. Well, of course, I knew that, I was just testing everybody.
(as Captain Mainwaring would say!)
:lol:
Steve Parish

Postby cockroach » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Personally, I think most of the British acoustic players from Bert Jansch to whoever were all inspired by (or copped a lot from) the late great Davey Graham...

He really was the guvnor of that style of playing, and a brilliant musician too.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Previous

Return to People