The Ventures' repertoire: what's your opinion?

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Ventures' repertoire: what's your opinion?

Postby Tropi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:43 pm

For me, The Ventures - Another Smash was their definitive album. Every musician had a distinctive part to play and the resultant driving beat was absolutely, irresistibly magnificent. The all-Fender sound was terrific, with distinctive tonal character. Very little else the Ventures did could match up to that album (IMO). It was a totally different sound from The Shadows. It surprised me then and it still does, that I could like both bands so much and yet not feel at all torn between them. A bit like comparing say, Susan Hampshire with Claudia Cardinale. :roll:
I have an mp3 of The Ventures' doing The Savage and it sounds just as raucously awful as the one kindly linked earlier in this thread! What a horrible mess. Not a patch on The Shadows. The Shadows' version, to me, ranks every bit as good as anything they ever did. It wasn't a huge hit with the public but I don't care. I absolutely loved it and I still do. :)
Tropi

Re: The Ventures' repertoire: what's your opinion?

Postby Gary Allen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi iefje, I know nothing about the ventures other than their guitar sound never seems to be an issue with other guitarists, just plug and play with a splash of reverb. Regards Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Previous

Return to People