http://www.bluesharmonica.nl/tijdvoorte ... ina169.htm

cheers, tonio :D
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Re: time for teenagers

Postby cockroach » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks Tonio!

Lovely stuff about dear old Bert!

I've always been fascinated by that double cutaway Guild with the DeArmond pickups, which he used after his original single cutaway Starfire- I've often wondered if it was a special custom job built for him?

Either way, Bert was a tremendous player IMHO!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:58 pm

cockroach wrote:Thanks Tonio! Lovely stuff about dear old Bert! I've always been fascinated by that double cutaway Guild with the DeArmond pickups, which he used after his original single cutaway Starfire- I've often wondered if it was a special custom job built for him? Either way, Bert was a tremendous player IMHO!

Yes and no - not quite a custom guitar, since it was essentially a Guild Starfire (later, double-cut, version) with different pickups.

But Bert's signature version had DeArmond 2000 (single coil) pickups instead of the Guild humbuckers. And it had the Bigsby as standard, so it was a sort of cross between the Starfire 4 and Starfire 6 (no gold plating), but fitted with the DeArmonds, which Guild also fitted to the original Duane Eddy model.

Those DeArmond 2000 pickups (known as the Dynasonic when fitted to Gretsch guitars) were used by Gretsch, Guild, Fender (on the Coronado series), Martin (on their electric jumbo models) and by Hofner (on a custom-order version of the Ambassador model). They were also available as accessories from DeArmond (Selmer in the UK).

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:38 am

Thanks JimN, however, Bert's model always seemed to me to have a different neck set to the double cutaway Starfire- subtle difference to my old eyes!

I'd say he perhaps also preferred the DeArmond pickups to the humbuckers which Guild started fitting in about 1963- maybe he was used to the Dynasonics, after using his earlier single cutaway Starfire (the famous Pussy Cat Willum model- 'I will now play 1,000 notes a minute') BTW- the DeArmond website is fascinating- special designs even used by Fender on the Coronado semis etc..

Later on, Bert's SA model Yamaha was modified with a Gibson vibrato unit- rather than a Bigsby...then some time later he used a Strat (in a strange reddish brown finish) and a Parker Fly, along with lighter gauge strings than in earlier days- easier to play as you get older! (lighter weight guitar and easier string action)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 am

Sadly, by the time of the Pipeline Convention in 1999, Bert was using the ubiquitous Stratocaster, which didn't seem appropriate somehow.
Right image for Hank, wrong image for Bert.
bert1999.JPG
(17.32 KiB) Downloaded 11680 times
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Weedon

Postby abstamaria » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 am

Bert Weedon's music never made it to these shores. I would never have known of him but for these pages.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby noelford » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:24 am

Andy, he was probably one of the biggest influences in the UK from the point of view of introducing the guitar to youngsters. His book, Play In A Day, THE guitar tutorial for many, was first published, I believe, in 1957 and has sold millions of copies. It is still in print and available today! The list of top guitarists who name Bert as their original influence is very long indeed.
noelford

Postby JimN » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:47 pm

cockroach wrote:Thanks JimN, however, Bert's model always seemed to me to have a different neck set to the double cutaway Starfire- subtle difference to my old eyes!

The colour flyer I posted is from a much later period (at least the 1980s), and by then two major changes had occurred.

Most obvious is the change from the early Guild headstock (very Gibsonesque, with the "open book" design, which Gibson certainly did not appreciate) to the more proprietary Romantic style, similar to the enlarged style used on 1960s American Epiphones, which is pretty fitting when you consider that there is a family connection between Epi and Guild.

The other change was the shape of the pickguard, with the D'Angelico-inspired stepped 'guard taking over from the earlier design as seen on the older photo. The older design was slightly reminsicent of the Hofner pickguard shape - certainly very "European" in feel.

The neck itself was not otherwise different as between the early and later guitars.

American Guild necks (pre-Fender) were very well-made and comfortable to play.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:55 pm

noelford wrote:Andy, he was probably one of the biggest influences in the UK from the point of view of introducing the guitar to youngsters. His book, Play In A Day, THE guitar tutorial for many, was first published, I believe, in 1957 and has sold millions of copies. It is still in print and available today! The list of top guitarists who name Bert as their original influence is very long indeed.

There was also Bert's perhaps less celebrated sequel tutor, Play Every Day (The Bert Weedon Way), featuring him on the cover with his single-cutaway Starfire...

PED.PNG
PED.PNG (190.83 KiB) Viewed 12835 times

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby neil2726 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:09 pm

Bert of course inspired we teenagers of the time through his appearances on childrens TV and actually showing how to play chords etc!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Next

Return to People