Another Beatles instrumental

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Another Beatles instrumental

Postby martcaster » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:26 pm

Under the heading..'2nd Favourite Bands' I would have to put Chris Barber's Jazz and Blues Band (vintage 1968-'73) They made an album called Battersea Rain Dance around this time and one of the tracks can be found here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyJ3_PiOWG0

It's a very collectable album, because Mr McCartney is amongst the CatCallers at the end; and so, 'Completists' MUST have it. The album features the great John Slaughter on guitar. If you don't know his brilliant blues style, check him out on YouTube.
E.G.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2WOBFRQcw
Love to all,
Mart
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby RayL » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:34 am

On Thursday 29th August 1963, as a very junior BBC employee I was sent to (London's) Playhouse Theatre, at that time a BBC studio. (I kept a diary)

I was allocated to a session where Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas were being recorded (Mike Maxfield kindly showed me how he did the twiddly bits in The Cruel Sea). I was told that The Beatles were 'just down the corridor' (though I never met them).

In view of the interest in all things Beatle, there must be lists lists of where The Beatles were on every day in those years and what they recorded. Can anyone find out? 29th August 1963 might be the day when they recorded this version of Some Other Guy at the (London) Playhouse.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby cockroach » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:33 am

Ray

This was all I could find- not sure whether it helps?

http://www.beatlesource.com/TV/index.html
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Fenderman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:50 am

I have a book that details where they were every day between 1957 -1970, it says that on 29th August 1963 they were filming a sequence in Liverpool on a ferry signing autographs and meeting fans for a TV special called The Mersey Sound.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:52 pm

RayL wrote:On Thursday 29th August 1963, as a very junior BBC employee I was sent to (London's) Playhouse Theatre, at that time a BBC studio. (I kept a diary)

I was allocated to a session where Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas were being recorded (Mike Maxfield kindly showed me how he did the twiddly bits in The Cruel Sea). I was told that The Beatles were 'just down the corridor' (though I never met them).

In view of the interest in all things Beatle, there must be lists lists of where The Beatles were on every day in those years and what they recorded. Can anyone find out? 29th August 1963 might be the day when they recorded this version of Some Other Guy at the (London) Playhouse.
Ray

There's the Mark Lewisohn book - The Complete Beatles Chronicle (and more besides) - very authoritative.

http://www.marklewisohn.net/index.php/mark-lewisohn/profile
Last edited by JimN on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Yep - that's where i got my info from, a very interesting read. One for Cliff/Shads is over due, anything would be better than that Victor Rust effort.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby RayL » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:50 am

From The Beatles Source that John Cochrane found, it seems I was given 'duff gen' about The Beatles being in London on that day.
They did a Saturday Club recording at the London Playhouse on July 30th but my diary tells me that I was in Croydon.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:21 pm

An interesting instrumental you have unearthed there. It does sound a bit crude on first hearing, the tuning is not spot on and here are a couple of mistakes - but just think what George Martin could have done with it!

If re-recorded in the Shadows style, I imagine it could sound quite good. There's a little project for me then.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby flingal64 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:10 pm

On you tube some say that this is a group called The Remo 4..
I have no idea, but just posting it to see your opinion....
flingal64

Full Real Name: Gerhardt Folgerø

Postby JimN » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:22 pm

flingal64 wrote:On you tube some say that this is a group called The Remo 4..
I have no idea, but just posting it to see your opinion....

The Remo 4 would have sounded better...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to People