Going to an "Albert Lee" Concert in Pasadena this Saturday

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Going to an "Albert Lee" Concert in Pasadena this Saturday

Postby abel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 am

Hi all,

I am excited to be going to an Albert Lee concert at the Levitt Pavilion in Pasadena this coming Saturday God willing.
It's an up close and personal venue similar to the Hollywood Bowl, but much smaller. The concert is free.
I'll go and try to talk to him as I always do when he plays in his place of residence in Agoura Hills.
He remembers my face, and when I say my name, he seems to have seen it somewhere (politeness I guess).

Let me know if you have a message for him, I'll try and transmit.

I'll take my new Sony camcorder with me and try to post something for you.
Below are links to the venue and to Albert Lee's promo.

http://www.levittpavilionpasadena.org/e ... lbert-lee/

http://www.levittpavilionpasadena.org/

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Re: Going to an "Albert Lee" Concert in Pasadena this Saturd

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 am

You ll have a great tine, I had a chat wuth him after a gig in Bristol last year and he was so modest and unassuming. Needless to say he played an incredible set.
Mikey

Postby JimN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm sure you'll enjoy the concert, Abel.

You are acquainted with Albert Lee, as I recall... I'm sure that you introduced me to him at the 2012 NAMM show. He was manning an exhibition stand (Music Man?).

Best wishes.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Uncleboko » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Saw him in Chris Farlowe & the Thunderbirds at the Lynx Club in Borehamwood back in 1965 - I think a couple of weeks after the Yardbirds!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby Joeland-CH » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Dear Abel
I do not remember how many times I've seen him live. He is a super musician and a great person, always nice and friendly.
Please tell him, Gudrun and I missed him in Germany and Switzerland :-) I wish you a great concert!
Best wishes, Roland
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=965374480163255&l=2c80cdfef2
Joeland-CH

Full Real Name: Roland SIEGFRIED

Postby Uncleboko » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Uncleboko wrote:Saw him in Chris Farlowe & the Thunderbirds at the Lynx Club in Borehamwood back in 1965 - I think a couple of weeks after the Yardbirds!

Just checked with an old friend who confirmed that we also saw him at the Fender Club which was held in a church hall (remember them?) in Kenton near Harrow.
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby abel » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:20 am

Hi all,

Unfortunately, the show was cancelled because of unhealthy air quality due to the huge fire in Santa Clarita (my hometown)
generating smoke that covers the entire Los Angeles County.
In my side of town, we are Ok as the fire is moving south.

The show has been rescheduled to a later dare though.

I will keep you posted.
In the meantime, I went to see a Surf music show with "3 Balls of fire", "Slacktone" and the "Paul Johnson band".

Last night, I also attended our local Blues festival with the super Boogie Woogie Keyboard player "Dona Oxford".

Jim,
Jeff and everyone is saying hello.

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Postby JimN » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks for that, Abel.

I met Paul Johnson at a SoCal Winter Surf Fest (Los Alamitos) a few years ago. I remember him mainly from being featured on a Guitar Player magazine "Soundpage" flexi disc back in the mid-1980s (which I still have).

It was in an edition dedicated to surf and crime / spy guitar material and it featured Paul playing Stand Up, Stand Up, For Jesus and The Raybeats with The Sad Little Caper.

I'm so envious of you getting to see Slacktone again. Dave Wronski is one of the greatest guitarists working today in the surf / instro genres. And I take it that Dusty Watson gave one of his usual power-performances on drums?

Was 3 Balls of Fire the Texas band? If it was, we saw them here in London a few years ago at the Pipeline Convention, backing either George Tomsco or Bob Spalding (wish I could remember which one!).

Best wishes to you all and enjoy the Albert Lee concert when you get to see it.

We all hope the fire keeps well away from residential areas of Santa Clarita.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Dona Oxford was playing with Albert the last time I saw him and what a fabulous artist she is too.
Mikey

Postby RayL » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 am

JimN wrote:Was 3 Balls of Fire the Texas band? If it was, we saw them here in London a few years ago at the Pipeline Convention, backing either George Tomsco or Bob Spalding (wish I could remember which one!).

Jim, they backed both. It was 2006 and, to quote the booklet from the Convention DVD,
"Bob was originally coming to the Convention as a visitor, and very kindly stepped in after the unfortunate withdrawal of The Silhouets. Internet introductions resulted in a liason with 3 Balls Of Fire and between them they arranged a mouth-watering set within a couple of days. Truly a treat for the many, many Ventures fans!". The set list was Spindrift / Yellow Jacket / Memphis / Rumble / Diamond Head / Yellow Bird / Movin' 'n' Groovin' / Sen-Say-Shun/Apache / Pipeline / Sleepwalk / Walk, Don't Run / Blue Dawn / Encore Rawhide.

When backing George Tomsco the set list was Fireball / Torquay / Panic Button / Gunshot / Foot Patter/ Vaquero / Chief Whoopin' Koff / Yacky Doo / Walkin'/ El Ringo / Rik A Tik / Quite A Party / Dumbo / Bulldog/Harlee Guitar / Encores: Rumble /Tequila
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Next

Return to People