Woman of Mystery

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Woman of Mystery

Postby drakula63 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:49 am

Excuse my ignorance, but who is the woman at the mic, flanked by the lads?

I SHOULD know, of course, but her identity eludes me...
Attachments
987759lb.jpg
(46.92 KiB) Downloaded 13609 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Woman of Mystery

Postby iefje » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Isn't she Patricia Bredin? She sang "A World Of Our Own" with The Shadows on the "A Wish Upon A Wishbone" special on Christmas Day of 1966.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks.

Glad it wasn't someone like Dione Warwick or Dusty Springfield, then I would REALLY have felt stupid for not recognising her!
drakula63

Postby Graham C. Marshall » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Patricia was originally from Kingston upon Hull, my neck of the woods. She now lives in Canada and occasionally makes it into the Hull Daily Mail.
Graham C. Marshall

Full Real Name: Graham C. Marshall

Postby cockroach » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:35 am

Good grief!

what was that shot taken from? A TV show?

It looks like The Seekers with an extra tambourine player and a bass guitar...

Maybe they did wannabee 'all round entertainers'?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:19 pm

That was how you got TV work. In the early chart-topping years, you simply went on and did your hit. After that, you got on by playing the TV game and doing whatever bit of light entertainment the producer had in mind. You might have winced at what you had to do but you got paid and, far more valuable, a prime-time TV plug for your continuing existence.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:04 am

Graham C. Marshall wrote:Patricia was originally from Kingston upon Hull, my neck of the woods. She now lives in Canada and occasionally makes it into the Hull Daily Mail.

Ahh, Hull. City of Culture 2017. I went there once, by mistake. Sounds like a line from Withnail & I, but it’s true.

OK, I was living on the other side of the river at the time, in Hull’s ‘poor relation’, and a friend and myself were trying to get to, I think, Goxhill. We missed the turning and found ourselves on the Humber Bridge and unable to turn round. An evening in Hull ensued. Sadly, I think it must have been a Tuesday as the place seemed dead. This must have been in the mid 1990s.

But seriously, in the days before the bridge opened, the family used to make regular trips across on the ferry (either the Tattershall Castle or the Lincoln Castle) to go shopping somewhere that had decent shops! Most of my Shadows records came from Sidney Scarborough’s in the city centre. I saw the Shads there in 1981 (at the City Hall) and, a decade or so later, saw Hank and Brian at the same venue on their first post-Shads tour. I remember going to see Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick in ‘The Secret of Sherlock Holmes’ at the New Theatre in 1990 and, the previous year, courtesy of Viking Radio, did my first ever live radio interview. Later still, whilst drumming in one band or another, I played in a few clubs and pubs (probably all closed now) in the city and in Barton on Humber. Good times. And slightly later still, whilst at college, made a promo video for the Hull Daily Mail, which, at the time, was just starting up an interactive TV service. I saw it a few weeks ago for the first time in years and there I was, barely recognisable, rushing into a phone box and then walking, rather languidly, into the newspaper’s offices. It made no sense, but it all cut together quite nicely. And then there was Lucy, who I think lived on Blenheim Street. A short but interesting dalliance. And my dear old friend Andy, who for a while lived in a flat on Spring Bank, with whom I breakfasted early one morning on a huge slab of Cherry Genoa.

Come to think of it, I bought my first ever drum kit, second hand, from a guy living on the Bransholme Estate. It was a Pearl DLX, black, 7-piece with Zyldjian cymbals. The kit of my dreams.

Ahh, Hull. What memories…
drakula63

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:41 am

Hull holds quite pleasant memories for me, it was where I bought my Mellotron!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:06 pm

cockroach wrote:It looks like The Seekers with an extra tambourine player and a bass guitar...

Speaking of whom... doing their bit for instro music!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby cockroach » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Bill!

Priceless! I hadn't seen that before...Athol Guy using an Aussie Maton bass too..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Next

Return to People