Bob Withrington

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bob Withrington

Postby Geffers » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:33 pm

As some of the Shadows fraternity may now be aware, Bob unexpectedly passed away last Friday 28/10.

I know a lot of people had come to know Bob at many of the Shadows Clubs and social functions far and wide he regularly attended all over the UK with his wife Charlotte for many years. He was the figurehead for The Surrey Shadows Club since it started and through that Bob always took the lead in organising the special evenings involving 'Local Heroes' shows at Hersham and twinning the Surrey Club with like minded people in France ( Ch'tishads) for the last 6 years.
The last one only being just a week ago.

I have only known Bob for the last 10 years or so, he very rarely missed one of our evenings at the South Coast Shads Club, and I am aware he used to love to travel regularly to hear and play the music that he loved at many other Clubs.

Bob was an organiser, if he said something would happen - it did, and earnt the Nickname to some of - Captain Bob! He was also so affable, friendly, generous,
understanding, knowledgable, kind, generally a lovely person. A gentleman in fact!

To all those that came into contact with him, his personality came across, he always had that twinkle in his eye, always very keen to talk about anything Shads to anyone.

Personally, it is a body blow I will not see him anymore, it has been a desperately sad weekend for many. My heart goes out to his Wife Charlotte and all his family. It will be a time for rallying round and supporting them in the days and weeks ahead.

Although he has gone I know Bob will live long in our hearts, always be remembered, never forgotten
God Bless Bob
Last edited by Geffers on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geffers
Geffers

Full Real Name: Geoff Bearpark

Re: Bob Withrington

Postby Sothall Mike » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:35 pm

I am absolutely shell shocked, Bob was a lovely, lovely man. My deepest sympathy's to Bobs wife charlotte, family and friends, and all at the Surrey Shadows Club. I too have only really got to know Bob over the last few years, firstly at the East Yorkshire Shadows Guitar Club Weekends up in Scarborough, then at Shadowmania, and then last year myself and my partner Gill went down to the Surrey Shadows Club for a Local Hero's event. Bob and charlotte also came up to our club at Doncaster on a couple of occasions when visiting friends in the area. He will be sadly missed, and once again, on behalf of all at the South Yorkshire Shadows Club, our deepest sympathy's and condolences to his family and friends.

Mike Kilner
Sothall Mike

Full Real Name: Michael Kilner

Postby Rick50 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:54 pm

Very sad news, our thoughts are with Charlotte and all his family, and his many friends. from Rick and Joyce Courtney
Rick50

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:45 pm

Desperately sad news, though I don't recall meeting Bob but may have done at Shadowmania back in the day.
It goes without saying that we offer our heart felt condolences to his wife Charlotte and family and friends.RIP Bob.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby bassboogie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Unexpected, shocked and saddened. Never had the pleasure of a visit to Surrey Shadows, but met Bob on many occasions. A lovely unassuming gentleman. He was a giant in the Shadows fraternity. Bob will be missed by us all.
My deepest sympathy to Charlotte, and Bob's family and friends.

Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Didier » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 am

Bob was at the Ch'tiShads meeting in France a few days ago (october 22) and played a lot, either with his band "French Connection" or others. It's been a terrible shock to learn that he passed away less that a week after that.
I have met him several times, either at the Surrey Shadows Club or at the Ch'tiShads meetings. He was a very friendly man.
My deepest sympathy to Charlotte, family and friends.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby piecrusty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:23 am

The saddest of news, and I can only add my voice to the others who have talked about Bob in such warm terms. I met him twice and he was always kind, approachable, funny, encouraging and an absolute gentleman, he will be missed tremendously in the Shadows community. I find it so hard to believe that only just over a month ago, Linda, myself, Bob and Charlotte were all chatting and enjoying the Shadows weekend at Lakeside, were looking forward to next year and also Bob getting up to the North West Shadows Music Club and playing with us sometime........Sadly it's not to be.

So so sad, R.I.P. Bob. Our condolences to Charlotte and the family. Mark & Linda.
piecrusty

Postby SJB » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Last Evening we had the Bournemouth Guitar Night.
We paid tribute to Bob.

2016_11_01 B-MouthTribute to Bob.jpg
(42.4 KiB) Downloaded 11767 times

Stu
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby David Martin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:35 am

Very sad to read this. Sending love to his family and Club friends.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Return to People