OT- Hackett

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OT- Hackett

Postby MikeAB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 pm

I've always thought my personal 'music development' could be simplified as Shads - Moody Blues (sideswipe to BJH) - Genesis - Knopfler. With The Who and CSNY particularly strong 'sideways avenues'. Still revere and listen to all of them.

Disgracefully though I accidentally stopped following Steve Hackett after his third solo effort, and have always promised myself I would go back and try his (really massive) solo catalogue.

I'm doing that now and also see every tour of his (before it gets too late?!). Love or hate him - he can't half play - classical as well.

His stuff is truly 'prog' - some of it I hate but some is absolutely spine tingling - and all pretty hard to get into. Working on about 7 old unheard albums at the moment which is tricky as well.

This site doesn't seem to mention Hackett much, but as a guitar maestro Shads fans shouldn't miss out on him (he says the Shads started his interest in guitar and he once had 'Hank specs' as well).

Instro-wise I suggest 'The Steppes' and 'Sierra Quemada' as starters for people new to him. It takes 3 or 4 hearings before the spine tingles though! Plenty to go at if you like them eg Spectral Mornings, Clocks etc.

And of course the live version of 'Shadow of the Hierophant' is a classic and a must for rock/prog/instro fans (the version on the Fire And Ice DVD maybe - see Youtube).

Anyone else into him? And if so what do you recommend trying?

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: OT- Hackett

Postby Simon Underwood » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 pm

His 'Genesis Revisited' DVD and CD is well worth checking out, I actually caught him on one of these tours at the Brighton Centre, absolutely amazing, but my favourite work is his classical album, 'Bay Of Kings', truly stunning. Brilliant version of 'Horizons' on it, which I've been struggling to play for some time now!

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Return to People