R.I.P. Bjorn Thelin

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

R.I.P. Bjorn Thelin

Postby Alan Taylor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:39 pm

The original bass player for The Spotnicks passed away yesterday aged 74.

R.I.P. Bjorn Thelin

From the Spotnicks' web site http://spotnicks.net/2012/06/bjorn-thelin-70-2/:
I am terribly sorry to give the sad information that Björn Thelin died yesterday, January 24th.
Björn Thelin was born on 27 June 1942. He was one of The Spotnicks' original members from the time they called themselves The Frazers. Before that, together with Bob Lander and Bo Winberg, he was in Rock-Teddy & The Blue Caps and he also formed a group called The Rebels together with Bob.
Björn was The Spotnicks bass player until 1967 and participated on all their classic recordings in the '60’s, e.g. the albums The Spotnicks In London (Out-A Space), In Paris, In Spain, In Berlin, In Stockholm, In Gothenburg, In Tokyo, Around The World, In Winterland, Live In Japan and In Acapulco. He was also involved in the albums The Great Snowman, Saturnight Music and Charttoppers Recorded In 1977 during the period 1976-78. In total he recorded about 280 songs with The Spotnicks, including the most of the group's big hits.
Björn returned to The Spotnicks when the band reunited in the mid '80s after a short break and performed on several live performances in 1998 and 1999 when all of the original members got together to celebrate 40 years of The Spotnicks.
In 2001 Bjorn published a booklet reflecting on his life.
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Re: R.I.P. Bjorn Thelin

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Sadly, so many memorable figures from the golden period of instro music have departed.

I often thought that, if not the real deal, this was about the closest you would see to a Fender PB, albeit with that ultra narrow neck!

BT.PNG
BT.PNG (172.31 KiB) Viewed 5414 times

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: R.I.P. Bjorn Thelin

Postby Moderne » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:20 pm

A favourite LP of mine from the period is Out-A-Space The Spotnicks in London. Bjorn wrote a couple of jazzy tunes for this album - Nightcap and No Yaga Daga Blues - on which he played acoustic guitar. I'm guessing Bo played bass on these.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Return to People