Brian Matthew

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Brian Matthew

Postby Martin Payne » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Very Sad to hear that Brian Matthew passed away today at age 88. Big part of my musical youth, Saturday Club being almost mandatory listening in it’s heyday and of course he hosted Sounds of the 60’s for very many years until quite recently. I’ve got some Saturday Club recordings on reel to reel that I should drag up and have a listen to again.

RIP Brian.
Last edited by Martin Payne on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Payne

Full Real Name: Martin Payne

Re: Brian Matthews

Postby 362436 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Sad news indeed.
Spent many enjoyable hours listening to Saturday Club whilst living in Liverpool.
Sympathy to all his family,friends and fans.
Ian.

Full Real Name: Ian Harris

Postby bgohara » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Yes indeed - sorry to hear this news. Does anyone have the interview he did with Hank & Bruce around the time of the final tour - 2004? I would love to hear this again. Thanks, Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 am

Brian Matthew was one of the very best from our musical youth through to only a few months ago on radio. RIP Brian.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:38 am

As a ten-year-old in the early '60s I would accompany my parents on their weekly shopping trip to Gainsborough and the car radio was always on. On the way there we'd catch the last 20 minutes or so of Children's Favourites with Uncle Mac (later to become Junior Choice with Ed Stewpot). I never went shopping with my parents; I'd stay in the car to listen to the rest of the programme, because Saturday Club followed it at 10.

I remember one historical event from that period; a telephone interview Brian did with the Beatles not long after they landed in New York for their first US tour, then another a couple of weeks later after they had arrived back at Heathrow. Both these were recorded, and replayed on the programme. (I believe this was around February of 1964; I'm sure someone will correct me if it wasn't!) A transatlantic phone call was state of the art in those days, satellite TV links being very much in their infancy, as anyone who remembers the quality of the pictures from the Tokyo Olympics later that year will recall.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Fenderman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:41 am

bgohara wrote:Yes indeed - sorry to hear this news. Does anyone have the interview he did with Hank & Bruce around the time of the final tour - 2004? I would love to hear this again. Thanks, Bernie

I have it somewhere as i digitised all my cassettes a few years ago but i've just moved house and have no idea where they are amongst the chaos.
I digitised a lot of Sounds of the 60's tracks. Some didn't quite turn out right!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby kipper » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:52 am

that voice will be sadly missed. right up to a couple months ago I was listening to him on Saturday morning best dj of my time thank my lucky stars. rip Brian.
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Re: Brian Matthew

Postby Mikey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:12 pm

A sad loss. I thought he'd go on forever.
Mikey

Postby neil2726 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:06 pm

One of the top DJ/presenters of our time. He concentrated on the music and not his own ego, unlike many of todays DJs.
He will be sadly missed! RCIP
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Uncleboko » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Martin Payne wrote:Very Sad to hear that Brian Matthew passed away today at age 88. Big part of my musical youth, Saturday Club being almost mandatory listening in it’s heyday and of course he hosted Sounds of the 60’s for very many years until quite recently. I’ve got some Saturday Club recordings on reel to reel that I should drag up and have a listen to again.

RIP Brian.

Very sad indeed, You don't have by any chance the Rolling Stones session broadcast on 18 April 1964, including Hi Heeled Sneekers and Beautiful Delilah? I manage to build a complete version of Hi Heeled Sneekers from various sources, listen to it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7boykyobliu3 ... b.wav?dl=0

but that illusive first few seconds of Beautiful Delilah has never surfaced. The trouble was that I like many others, had my reel to reel in pause record until a session song was announced, then quickly released the pause button - unfortunately sometimes Brian did his announcement after the music had started!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Next

Return to People