ONJ 2

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

ONJ 2

Postby drakula63 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:01 pm

The second part is perhaps not quite as interesting to Shads fans, but it is still very good. This episode mainly covers Grease, Xanadu and Physical and her later career. John Farrar and Cliff are among the interviewees. And nice to hear JF spoken about in very complimentary ways by the originators of Grease. A nice anecdote about the writing of 'Hopelessly Devoted to You' which John still regards as being his best song. (Actually, the anecdote might be about the writing of "You're The One That I Want".)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qq7f4

Episode Two.

Olivia Newton John, surely one of the most likeable people in the music business, continues her first-hand account of fifty years as a singer, actor and campaigner. Reflecting on the success of Grease - now the most successful movie musical of all time - she puts it down to the combination of fantastic music (both the original music and new music by John Farrar and Barry Gibb) in addition to her chemistry with John Travolta and the rest of the cast "we did have an amazing amount of fun and that translates".

Her next musical was Xanadu - a film that was famously plagued with script issues and a director who didn't like music. But nevertheless it gave her the opportunity to work with Hollywood legend Gene Kelly: "When I was told I was going to do a dance with Gene Kelly, I almost had a heart attack. We spent three weeks in rehearsal with him, I was the original dancing with the stars, I got to dance with Gene Kelly. It was very exciting and very terrifying. But my father came when we were filming that day when I was dancing to make it even more terrifying."

Olivia's father was a professor of languages who had worked at Bletchley park during World War Two and was part of the team that cracked the enigma code. Whilst her maternal grandfather, Max Born, was a Nobel prize winning scientist and close friend of Einstein.

Performing in black leather as the raunchy 'Sandy 2' at the end of Grease, was a liberating experience. She recalls her reservations about releasing the song Physical because of the obvious innuendos and her decision to make an accompanying music video about exercising - to detract from the suggestive lyrics. Olivia also recalls writing environmental songs inspired by her deep love of animals.

Having survived breast cancer, she established the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness research centre in Australia - which was partially funded by a sponsored walk along the Great Wall of China, aided by celebrity friends including Sir Cliff Richard and Joan Rivers. Australia is her heart-home and she describes performing at the opening of the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000 as a career highlight: 'that's one of the moments that stands out, to be in Australia representing my country in front of all those Olympic hopefuls.'

Olivia also has a heartwarming story to tell - and it's the subject of her new Album LIV/ON recorded with Amy Sky and Beth Nielsen-Chapman. Intended as a message of hope, inspiration and renewal, especially to people facing sadness, illness or bereavement in their lives. It's Olivia's fulsome expression of what matters in life, far removed from the fame and glitter.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: ONJ 2

Postby alewis41 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 pm

alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby drakula63 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Oh no.
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Poor Olivia. When you read about her personal life you realise that, apart from her huge success, she has had some terrible knocks - especially where her health and health of her family is concerned.

I know she had postponed several gigs in America due to what was believed to be sciatica, but now it seems that her breast cancer had returned and gone to her back. I understand that this is potentially VERY serious and an operation would be very risky.

Watching her videos last night on youtube, I was reminded of just how beautiful and genuinely nice she has always seemed to be. As her father was my dad's headmaster when he was at school (dad has a school book with his signature in) I suppose I do have a very, very, very, very, very, very, very tenuous family connection.

Although there can be no doubt that Cliff and the Shadows launched her career and did Olivia a huge service, it should also be remembered that her performances of their songs, gave Messrs Marvin, Welch, Rostill and Farrar some huge hits in the U.S. which might well never have happened otherwise.

I sincerely hope that Olivia makes a full recovery soon and I can honestly say that seeing and hearing her sing in London earlier this year was Magic!
Attachments
3296640.jpg
(698.26 KiB) Downloaded 8344 times
drakula63

Postby neil2726 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 am

Sad news about Olivia - I still think Jeff Lynnes "Xanadu" was her what best song and showed a great singer she is!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:54 pm

To be fair, I don't think she ever made anything other than a great recording. She has one of those voices and has had so many great songs, I think 'I Honestly Love You' is probably her own favourite. And I DO like her version of' Silvery Rain'. It's amazing how many number ones she has had, especially if you take into account that the US seems to have about four or five different singles charts (or they used to!)! Funnily enough, 'Xanadu' was ELO's only UK number one! So I am guessing that Jeff Lynn is thankful to her for this too.

Let's hope she pulls through and is back on stage again soon.
drakula63

Return to People