Frank Ifield

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Frank Ifield

Postby Moderne » Sun May 28, 2017 12:03 pm

It was great to see Frank Ifield at Huntingdon Hall in Worcester last night; I think I was the youngest audience member by about 30 years! He mentioned The Shadows, Cliff, Norrie and Peter Gormley (who was his manager as well as Cliff and The Shadows). He performed several of his hits although I suspect he was miming as they sounded exactly like the records - but just to see him and hear the songs was quite something. Afterwards he signed my Babes in the Wood LP (Music and lyrics by The Shadows) and we chatted about his guitar with a scratchplate the shape of Australia! What a lovely guy! he looks amazing...and he's going to be 80 in November!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Re: Frank Ifield

Postby drakula63 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Blimey, I honestly thought he was dead! Obviously not!!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Graham C. Marshall » Sun May 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Me too, Chris.
Graham C. Marshall

Full Real Name: Graham C. Marshall

Postby kipper » Sun May 28, 2017 11:00 pm

:roll: Frank Ifield I remember him. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby cockroach » Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 am

Moderne wrote:It was great to see Frank Ifield at Huntingdon Hall in Worcester last night; I think I was the youngest audience member by about 30 years! He mentioned The Shadows, Cliff, Norrie and Peter Gormley (who was his manager as well as Cliff and The Shadows). He performed several of his hits although I suspect he was miming as they sounded exactly like the records - but just to see him and hear the songs was quite something. Afterwards he signed my Babes in the Wood LP (Music and lyrics by The Shadows) and we chatted about his guitar with a scratchplate the shape of Australia! What a lovely guy! he looks amazing...and he's going to be 80 in November!

http://www.frankifield.com/photos.html

That's Frank's lovely old Maton with the custom made Oz shaped scratchplate BTW! :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby 362436 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:19 am

Hi guys!

Frank is definitely still going and doing occasional appearances.

He lives in the Northern suburbs of Sydney (Hornsby/Galston region) next door to a friend of mine who does a remarkable impersonation of Sir Cliff.

Quite funny when they get together and reminisce about the 60's!

All the best, Ian.

Full Real Name: Ian Harris

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Tue May 30, 2017 6:43 pm

And don't forget Frank's contribution to guitar instrumental history, the B-side of I Remember You; I Listen To My Heart which has been covered by the Spotnicks and many other instro bands!

It was by the way written by Frank himself.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby JimN » Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 pm

cockroach wrote:
Moderne wrote:It was great to see Frank Ifield at Huntingdon Hall in Worcester last night; I think I was the youngest audience member by about 30 years! He mentioned The Shadows, Cliff, Norrie and Peter Gormley (who was his manager as well as Cliff and The Shadows). He performed several of his hits although I suspect he was miming as they sounded exactly like the records - but just to see him and hear the songs was quite something. Afterwards he signed my Babes in the Wood LP (Music and lyrics by The Shadows) and we chatted about his guitar with a scratchplate the shape of Australia! What a lovely guy! he looks amazing...and he's going to be 80 in November!

http://www.frankifield.com/photos.html

That's Frank's lovely old Maton with the custom made Oz shaped scratchplate BTW! :D

The bit near the bottom of the page puzzles me:

Frank's first summer season at Blackpool in 1963 was at the ABC Theatre and Kathy Kirby was his co-star.

I'm sure it's very well-known here that the 1963 summer season at the ABC Theatre in Blackpool was headlined by Cliff Richard and The Shadows.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby UlrichS » Wed May 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Frank Ifield and Kathy Kirby starred the 1964 summer season at the ABC Blackpool.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/lifes ... -1-6356311
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

UlrichS wrote:Frank Ifield and Kathy Kirby starred the 1964 summer season at the ABC Blackpool.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/lifes ... -1-6356311

That explains it!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to People