Nokie Edwards RIP

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Nokie Edwards RIP

Postby abstamaria » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 pm

It is good you were able to chat with Nokie, George, Jim, Abel (and Dick Dale too, Abel!). I saw Nokie last at a Ventures show here in Manila a few years ago. He was no longer able to stand and played leaning against a stool.

I always thought that being identified with the Ventures was a mixed blessing for Nokie. That brought him steady income, but he must have wanted to play his own music in his style, I thought. He must have wanted to become his own guitarist.

Nokie and Don Wilson seem to have swapped guitars in that publicity photo.

(As an aside, Nokie only played bass for the hit - WDR - that brought the Ventures to fame. There is some debate as to his role in the original recording of Hawaii Five-O.)

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:21 am

abel wrote:RIP Nokie,

Jim,
Did we go together that year to Deke' s Guitar Geek?

We did! It was the first of the two times I was there (and the year I won that guitar!).

abel wrote:I had the honor of meeting Nokie a few times and especially at the NAMM show a few years ago.
I went to see the Ventures play at their booth and at my surprise, they came to see me play at the Minarik Guitar booth where I
was featuring the "Diablo" Minarik guitar, a weird looking but extremely well sounding one.
It didn't have a vibrato, so they fitted a Floyd Rose tremolo bar on it and it played beautifully. The neck was one of kind.
At my first set, Nokie, and the Ventures came to listen and I was stressed and intimidated.
At my second set, Dick Dale came surrounded with a big crowd following him everywhere he went, and he asked me to play my version
of "Maria Elena" that he had previously listened to in his small plane out of the CD I had sent him.

In addition to his immense talent, Nokie was a very humble, courteous and amicable person.
Below, the Ventures in their prime years:

Blessings,
Abel

See you soon (I hope).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm

I think it was just unfortunate timing that prevented Nokie's passing from being more widely reported, falling as it did between Ken Dodd and Stephen Hawking.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:31 pm

abstamaria wrote:(As an aside, Nokie only played bass for the hit - WDR - that brought the Ventures to fame. There is some debate as to his role in the original recording of Hawaii Five-O.)

Andy

Legendary Hollywood guitarist and Wrecking Crew member Tommy Tedesco claimed to have played the lead guitar on Hawaii-Five-O. Since he had played lead guitar on many other TV themes (including Bonanza, The Twilight Zone, Green Acres, M*A*S*H and Batman), that sounds credible. He had nothing to prove or gain by making false claims.

Nokie's claims to personal fame certainly didn't rest on Hawaii-Five-O.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:52 pm

JimN wrote:
abstamaria wrote:(As an aside, Nokie only played bass for the hit - WDR - that brought the Ventures to fame. There is some debate as to his role in the original recording of Hawaii Five-O.)

Andy

Legendary Hollywood guitarist and Wrecking Crew member Tommy Tedesco claimed to have played the lead guitar on Hawaii-Five-O. Since he had played lead guitar on many other TV themes (including Bonanza, The Twilight Zone, Green Acres, M*A*S*H and Batman), that sounds credible. He had nothing to prove or gain by making false claims.

Nokie's claims to personal fame certainly didn't rest on Hawaii-Five-O.

It certainly sounds like Tommy Tedesco to me on Hawaii 50...Nokie has a different 'touch' and sound when he played it on live Ventures footage that I've got.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby abstamaria » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:00 pm

I only mentioned WDR and Hawaii Five-O because Rolling Stone cited those two hits principally in their obituary for Nokie.

The obits also mention a simple style that encouraged people to pick up guitars and learn to play. I would attribute that more to Bob Bogle. It was his simpler pieces, including WDR, that made me think I could play too. Nokie, the more proficient guitarist, the guitarist’s guitarist, always had more flourish. Up to now, I know I can’t play like he did.

Nokie seemed many times to have tried to break away from the Ventures. I keep thinking he should have not rejoined them after he first left - was that in 1962 or 1963. Then he would perhaps played what and how he wanted and been recognized in his own right. He deserved that.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby iefje » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 am

Another true legend has passed away, rest in peace Nokie... Of the original band, only Don Wilson is still with us, although he doesn't play with The Ventures anymore, is that correct?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Alan Taylor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Yes that is correct, Don Wilson has now retired from The Ventures.
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Previous

Return to People