The Guess Who

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Guess Who

Postby drakula63 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Admittedly I hadn't heard of them until today, but in the latest issue (254) of 'Classic Rock' magazine, there is a feature on a band called 'The Guess Who', who are celebrating their 50th anniversary and are described as 'the forefathers of Canadian rock'.

Drummer Garry Peterson, sole surviving original member, talks about their influences and as well as name-checking The Beatles and talking about how the 'British invasion' made a big impression on them, he says "...In our early days we even played loads of songs from Cliff Richard and the Shadows live. They were a huge influence."

Good to know.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: The Guess Who

Postby Alan Taylor » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm

The Guess Who are best known in the UK for "American Woman" (Top 20 in 1970) and guitarist Randy Bachman remains a big fan of The Shadows: "The best instrumental band in the world. It taught me great rhythm guitar, clean lead solo lines and many recording echo and reverb techniques. Meeting the Shadows a few years ago at their 50th Anniversary gig in London was my teenage dream come true."
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Postby alewis41 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Later of Bachman Turner Overdrive and their massive hit You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby johnc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm

drakula63 wrote:Admittedly I hadn't heard of them until today, but in the latest issue (254) of 'Classic Rock' magazine, there is a feature on a band called 'The Guess Who', who are celebrating their 50th anniversary and are described as 'the forefathers of Canadian rock'.

Drummer Garry Peterson, sole surviving original member, talks about their influences and as well as name-checking The Beatles and talking about how the 'British invasion' made a big impression on them, he says "...In our early days we even played loads of songs from Cliff Richard and the Shadows live. They were a huge influence."

Good to know.

Chris,

Being part of the Commonwealth, there were many musicians in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc who grew up with and loved and played the Shadows music. Not the case in the USA unfortunately!

An example in Oz was The Strangers (featuring John Farrar) who started as a Shads style group, then later changed to vocal styles with great harmonies after the Beatles emerged..
johnc

Return to People