NME Poll Winners Concert 1964

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NME Poll Winners Concert 1964

Postby MikeAB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 am

For my sins I am trying to backtrack and list all the acts I've seen over some 65 years (!). From Tex Ritter to Mark Knopfler you might say.

I've always wished I'd kept a list of all the concerts - no chance of that, but there is some chance of finding all the artists I think. I'm up to 152 surprisingly quickly.

I was at the 1964 Pollwinners concert and remember for example Big Dee Irwin being on just before the Shads (went to the loo for his bit.).

I seem to recall Bobby Vee was there - but does anyone know if that's right? He doesn't appear on any programme list that I can find but I think the lists changed quite late on sometimes. I remember being surprised by the strength of his (often double tracked) voice live - or is this a manufactured memory!?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: NME Poll Winners Concert 1964

Postby JimN » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:51 pm

I wasn't at any of the NME Pollwinners' Concerts, but I did see the ABC Television recording of the 1964 concert, both in the spring of that year and when it was repeated at about Christmas time. I don't recall Bobby Vee being included.

Did Bobby win any of the NME Poll sections that year?

On the face of it, and given the 1963 onslaught of the Mersey Beat and London R&B boom, that seems unlikely.

A purported "full cast" of the show is given at the following imdb.com URL (though I can see straightaway that it is incomplete because it doesn't include Cliff Richard and The Shadows):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178586/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to People