R I P Freddie Starr

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

R I P Freddie Starr

Postby drakula63 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Although his style of comedy went out of fashion, Freddie Starr was very, very funny at his peak in the '70s and '80s. So sad that his life was blighted by ill-health and other things towards the end.

I saw him once, which was a huge surprise. It was at a Shadows gig at the Manchester Apollo in, I think, 1983. The Shadows started to play 'Move It' and a figure suddenly bounded on stage from the wings. Of course, everyone thought it was Cliff - and went mad! After a couple of seconds it became clear that it wasn't Cliff... but Freddie Starr! He got a warm welcome anyway and proceeded to sing 'Move It' with the Shads. Of course there was also a bit of tom-foolery, as they say! Was anyone else there that night?

Anyway, here's something in a similar vein as a tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoc239WKKTA
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: R I P Freddie Starr

Postby bor64 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Again a diamond geezer gone!
RIP Freddy!

Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Re: R I P Freddie Starr

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:06 pm

The Shadows also once (or maybe more times) appeared on Freddie Starr's TV show in 1983, where they mimed to "Riders In The Sky" and "Time Is Tight" and Hank, Bruce and Freddie did a humorous version of "The Young Ones".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to People