Gene Vincent (his recording of "Lotta Lovin')

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Gene Vincent (his recording of "Lotta Lovin')

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am

I have only recently heard this song by Gene and his Blue Caps. Now it may be just my old ears deceiving me, but to me it reminds me very much of Cliff Richard and the Drifters' recordings, in the period, say, Sept 1958 to early 1959?

Not the vocal (reminds me of Buddy Holly), but the overall sound of the backing, complete wth handclaps?

I know Cliff and the boys were fans of Gene, having met him and been photographed with him, but I have not considered Gene a big musical influence on Cliff's band.

I do not know if the guitarist on the recording was Cliff Gallop, but could that be a single coil pick-up? - and is that a hint of vibrato (finger style or whammy bar)?

Wiki gives the release date as july 1957, which is about a year before Move It was recorded.

I know that it is easy to imagine connections in retrospect, but as soon as the record starts I think of Move It, or Loving Loving Doll, or High Class Baby.

KIndest regards and with a nod to Hill Street Blues - Lets be safe out there!
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Re: Gene Vincent (his recording of "Lotta Lovin')

Postby JimN » Fri May 01, 2020 12:35 pm

I think the received wisdom is that Cliff Gallup used a Gretsch DuoJet fitted with single coil pickups in the form of the DeArmond 2000 model (referred to by Gretsch as the Dynasonic, though that is purely their term).

DeArmond always called the model the 2000 (and Fender referred to the near-reproduction of the pickup about twenty years ago as the 2K).

https://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/GALLUP_HEAD_early1960s.jpg
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri May 01, 2020 1:22 pm

Cliff Gallup left the Blue Caps in 1956 (having played on 36 tracks with Gene Vincent), before Lotta Lovin' was recorded in 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Gallup

His regular replacement was Johnny Meeks, who first recorded with Vincent in June 1957, and is most likely to feature on the track.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-meeks-mn0001627738

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby gibbo3272 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:11 am

According to the book "Gene Vincent - The Story Behind His Songs" by Thierry Liesenfeld, "Lotta Lovin’" was recorded on Wednesday, 19th June, 1957 and the lead guitarist was Johnny Meeks and Buck Owens was on rhythm guitar.
Geoff
gibbo3272

Full Real Name: Geoff Gibson

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:34 am

Thank you guys.

I know nothing about Johnny Meeks, but, but, but, BUCK OWENS!!!!!! - that is (almost) unbelievable - I am (not quite) speechless! To (miss)quote Sting - that's syncronicity!

Gone for a lie down!

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat May 02, 2020 12:58 pm

At that time Bucks Owens was treading the rockabilly path as a solo artist, before developing his highly successful and influential brand of honky-tonk country music in Bakersfield, California. Signed to Capitol, he was to have a long working relationship with Vincent's producer, Ken Nelson.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi Bill.

I have only recently become more aware of Buck Owens, via his TV shows on Youtube. IMHO a fine singer and guitarist. I know he had a long career, but did not know of his rockabllly period in the 1950s.

To me this is almost like finding out say, Jimi Hendrix, for example, was on one of Robert Johnson's records (no, thats going a bit too far??).

Oh the weft and warp of life!

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat May 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:Hi Bill.

To me this is almost like finding out say, Jimi Hendrix, for example, was on one of Robert Johnson's records (no, thats going a bit too far??).

Kindest regards,
Christopher

For Robert Johnson, read Little Richard! Hendrix was in his backing band for a time, although most likely not featured on any of his recordings (no research done on this, though!)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Derek Mowbray » Sat May 02, 2020 8:47 pm

I think Gene made some records in England later in his career maybe Say Mama no idea of where they were made or musicians on the records.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby gibbo3272 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:04 am

Hello Derek, yes he did and once again according to the book "Gene Vincent - The Story Behind His Songs" by Thierry Liesenfeld, with various musicians:
May 1960, St John wood’s EMI Studios, Abbey Road.Producer Norrie Paramor, Colin Green (Lead Guitar), Georgie Fame (piano) plus others - Pistol Packin’ Mama and Weeping Willow.
July 1961, St John wood’s EMI Studios, Abbey Road. Producer Norrie Paramor, John St John (lead guitar) plus others - I’m Going Home and Love Of A Man.
November 1961,St John wood’s EMI Studios, Abbey Road. Producer Norrie Paramor, John St John (lead guitar) plus others - Saceship To Mars and There I Go Again.
July 1962, St John wood’s EMI Studios, Abbey Road. Producer Bob Barratt, Charles Blackwell Orchestra - King Of Fools, You’re Still In My Heart, Held For Questioning and Be Bop A Luls 62.
November 1963 at Olympic Sounds Studios. London with the Bill Shepherd Orchestra - Whave You Been All My Life, Temptation Baby and The Beginning Of The End. With the Ivor Raymonde Orchrestra: La Den Da Den Da Da, Humpity Dumpity and A love ’em And Leave ’em Kinda Guy.
March, April and June 1964 at Olympic Sounds Studios, London with The Shouts, Tim Bates (lead guitar):
16th March: Love Love Love, Lavender Blue and You Are My Sunshine.
15th April: Slippin’ and Slidin’, Private Detective, Shimmy Shammy Shingle, Long Tall Sally and Good Golly Miss Molly.
23rd June: Send Me Some Lovin’, Hey Hey Hey Hey and Another Saturday Night.
24th June: Someday, Baby Blue 64 and Suzie Q.
Geoff
gibbo3272

Full Real Name: Geoff Gibson

Next

Return to People