Steve Priest dead

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Steve Priest dead

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Not sure if it's true or not, but just heard that Steve Priest has died. He had been in hospital, so maybe it's true. Sad. A great bass player who was open about his Shads influence - especially Jet. Here's a recent facebook post from former bandmate Andy Scott. It concludes with a photo of the first LP cover.

The Sweet
1 May ·
The Shadows are responsible for my career in music. Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan and in particular, the Red Stratocaster! From the moment I saw their first album cover with the Fender guitars on the front I was hooked. We had seen the Stratocaster but the Telecaster slung on Bruce’s chair was holy grail. I am reliably informed that the instruments were borrowed for the photo session and if you look closely you can see the shop price tags. Back then I would never have dreamed of having that kind of success but here we are. They say you should not meet your heroes but I am lucky enough to include Bruce Welch among my contacts, we keep in touch. I have immense respect and both of us have had our brush with Prostate Cancer which creates a bond among sufferers. So to escape lockdown fever, all of this brings me to an unmissable TV programme tonight, “The Shadows at 60” on BBC Four at 9.30 pm. As I said unmissable !!

Andy
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Steve Priest dead

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:17 pm

drakula63 wrote:Not sure if it's true or not

Until it is confirmed by a reliable source, we'd rather not publish things like this in case we get it spectacularly wrong, as we have done in the past.

(Later) / now confirmed
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Steve Priest dead?

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:21 pm

Probably safe now to assume that it is true. This post from the official Sweet twitter page.

The Sweet
@SPSweetBand
"It is with a heavy heart that we announce at 8:25am PT today, Steve Priest, founding member of The Sweet, passed away. He is survived by his wife, Maureen, three daughters, Lisa, Danielle & Maggie and 3 grandchildren, Jordan, Jade & Hazel.

From Andy Scott...

The Sweet
39 mins ·
Then there was one!

I am in pieces right now. Steve Priest has passed away. His wife Maureen and I have kept in contact and though his health was failing I never envisaged this moment. Never. My thoughts are with his family x.

He was the best bass player I ever played with. The noise we made as a band was so powerful. From that moment in the summer of 1970 when set off on our Musical Odyssey the world opened up and the rollercoaster ride started! He eventually followed his heart and moved to the USA. First New York then LA.

Rest in Peace brother. All my love.

Andy
drakula63

Re: Steve Priest dead?

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Agreed, now in the papers.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Steve Priest dead

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:41 am

I noticed this intro paragraph on his Sweet website:

Stephen Priest, founding member and bass player of The Sweet, was born in Hayes, England. Influenced as a young teen by Jet Harris of The Shadows, as well as by such seminal acts as the Rolling Stones and The Who, he crafted his own homemade bass and began playing in local bands.

R.I.P.
drakula63

Return to People