RIP Des O'Connor

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: RIP Des O'Connor

Postby fzrsew49 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:20 am

Having just listened to ‘sounds of the sixties’ Tony Blackburn’s tribute to Des O’Connor was lovely. It reminded me of the late sixties when I was seconded by my company to work on our vehicle display stand at the Earls Court motor show. Des O’Connor appeared in the distance walking along one of the wide isles with an attractive woman on each arm and the busy thoroughfare opened up for him; he was smiling and acknowledging people accompanied by an adoring crowd in his wake. He had such charisma foreign visitors may have thought he was royalty. The record Tony played was ‘I pretend’ classic. Regards, Stewart
fzrsew49

Full Real Name: stewart wood

Postby djangomarvin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 pm

A few years ago I found a wonderful album by Des of entirely original songs composed by ex-Shadow Alan Hawkshaw. Des’s connections with Cliff and the Shads were indeed many and various. I saw him in panto in Manchester in the 60s. Professionalism with a smile really sums him up. His great success was thoroughly deserved, he was a true all-rounder from an era where you needed several strings to your bow.
djangomarvin

Full Real Name: Francis O’Connor

Postby iefje » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:47 pm

JimN wrote:One important link between Des and The Shads was the fact that Hank produced (and played on) one of Des's albums, "Another Side of Des O'Connor", when the singer was a mere lad of 47.

One of the tracks was a version of the Buddy Holly hit "It Doesn't Matter Any More" and they played (and sang) it live on TV - in the same mid-1980s programme in which Des allowed Hank to "play" the Hofner President gifted to him by Buddy in 1958.

https://www.discogs.com/Des-OConnor-Ano ... se/5843207

Yes, I have a copy, bought s/h for £1. The record dealer couldn't believe his luck in getting the asking price.

This YT video includes the whole sequence:

R.I.P. Des.

This footage was recorded and/or broadcast on the 24th of June 1985, during the "Des O'Connor Now" TV show. Just before Hank played "Wonderful Land", Des sang "Begin The Beguine", during which Hank enters the TV stage and plays a short guitar solo.

Another legend gone, R.I.P. Des...
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Previous

Return to People