John Friesen

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

John Friesen

Postby George Geddes » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Ian Kershaw has posted on Facebook that well-known Shadows fan John Friesen has passed away.

His Record Scene shop was a source of Shadows items in the 70s and 80s during which time he was their 'official mail correspondent'. He compiled the first Shadows discography, which gave me the notion to compile my own. His band The Wodash released a single with a pic sleeve with John playing his green sunburst Marvin. RIP.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: John Friesen

Postby JimN » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Sad news indeed, George.

Just for clarity, It was John's daughter Amy who provided the news (on John's own Facebook page) and it was relayed to wider audiences by both Paul Maidment and Ian Kershaw, each on the Facebook fans' pages they run.

it's quite a while since I last saw John. In fact, it was probably, now I think about it, at Jet's funeral in 2011, where he and I shared a pew with Marty Wilde and "Tich" (of Dave Dee and co.). In fact, I only ever met John a few times, but the conversation was always lively and eventful. I particularly recall our lengthy discussion of suggested contents of a disc he'd been asked by EMI to compile - and which materialised as ""Everything Of Value - Rarities II".

John was incredibly knowledgeable about The Shadows and as we can probably remember, was their official mail correspondent for some years. Although I was never a customer (living 250 miles away), his Record Scene shop in SW London was the epicentre of Shads news and views, as well as a source for international record releases, much like Leo's Den today.

The news comes as a great shock. R.I.P. John Friesen.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:44 pm

I am very sorry to hear this.

I visited his parents in 1985 and bought the Wodash single, along with a Shadows tour poster. I had a lot of contact with John during the 1980s, but lost contact after that. I spoke to him on the phone a few years ago (having sent him a letter) and during the conversation he mentioned that he was having a lot of health problems.

A loss to the Shadows community as well as to his family and friends. In the pre-internet days, John was the go-to-guy for information and merchandise. I still have many, many items that I bought from him almost 40 years ago.

R.I.P.

P.S. It's worth noting and remembering that John compiled both The Shadows 20 Golden Greats and Rarities LPs.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby bor64 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Sad news indeed.
A friend of mine stayed over a few nights at Peter's and Johns place, during several Shads tours.
They were both real gents and knowledgeable folks about gear and the recordings.
Some gear of the shads found a place in Pete's collection.
That Wodash single,(I just picked it out of the dusty archive.)
1985 (time flies) John's greenbust (Jack Golder)Marvin ....I vividly remember I saw the greenburst on the sepia picture and wt* ....(I didn't notice the maple neck with the rosewood strips in the headstock and the trust-rod cover on the curled headstock.)
For a few seconds I thought he used Hanks greenburst...then realty kicked in.
RIP John, thanks for the great shads service, records, newsletters merchandise etc.

Anja&Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Ay, its never goods news - never met John, but had the benefit of his shop in the Ashford/Feltham area (if my memory serves me?), on several visits.
Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:36 pm

The Wodash single was issued on the Swedish label, Rainbow Music...

http://www.45cat.com/record/rms104

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Teflon » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Very sad news. I posted a few months ago asking if anyone remembered John as he was a figure that "loomed large" in my youth. I was a frequent visitor to Record Scene in Ashford, and it was in that store that I first saw a Burns Marvin, as John had one mounted on the wall above a doorway. Similarly I was in the Chertsey Branch of Record Scene when the manager (not John) came over to tell me that John Rostill had died.

As has been said, a very knowledgeable gentleman. RIP.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Moderne » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:28 pm

John also did a very funny 'interview' with The Shadows around the time of their XXV LP, which was given away as a flexidisc with the programme for their appearances at Blazers Night Club to celebrate their 25th Anniversary.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Gatwick1946 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 am

I saw the Shads, a couple of times, at Blazers nightclub in the 1980's. It was a very intimate, friendly venue. We sat only a few yards from the stage and the boys were on top form, cracking jokes, and able to display their humour and repartee with the audience, which was well packed with fans of the group. If one can get tickets, a club is a much better venue than a big theatre, or hall which has to be used for sports etc. In Brighton Civic Centre the sounds would just bounce off the back walls!

A very pleasant memory of times past, which we will likely not see again.

Kindest regards,
Christopher

PS Mr Geddes, I have your 1981 history and discography of The Shadows, in front of me now. I recall that I purchased it in Mr Friesen's shop! Much belated thanks.
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Return to People