Hank Marvin - Bad Cop/Janine

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank Marvin - Bad Cop/Janine

Postby drakula63 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:46 pm

I was listening to Hank Marvin's 'Words and Music' album yesterday (from the 2015 'Guitar Solo' CD box set) and was intrigued to discover that the song 'Bad Cop' had been replaced by the instrumental 'Janine', which was the b-side of the following year's single 'The Hawk and the Dove'. I would have thought that using it as a bonus track on 'All Alone With Friends' would have made more sense. There is no mention of the amended track listing on either the CD sleeve or the accompanying booklet. Anyone know the story behind this odd decision?
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Hank Marvin - Bad Cop/Janine

Postby JimN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:39 pm

This first happened on the 1998 2-on-1 CD "Another Side of Hank Marvin", which was a reissue of the albums "Words And Music" and "All Alone With Friends" on one disc.

It wasn't the only change from the original vinyl albums.

Here's my database entry:

START:
ANOTHER SIDE OF HANK MARVIN CD
Hank MARVIN
1998 (compiled)
Polygram/Spectrum (UK)
554 517-2 (stereo)
1. Don't Talk
2. Slow Down
3. Janine
4. Tahlia, Take Your Time
5. China Town
6. Captain Zlogg
7. The Trouble With Me Is You
(45 version)
8. Oh Suzie
9. Night Nurse
10. Go Jimmy
11. Then I Found Love
12. Life Line
13. Just Another Heartbreak
14. The Hawk And The Dove
15. Invisible Man
16. Leila (Danny's Got A Song)
17. Where Do You Go When You Dream?
18. Don't Answer
19. Stardom
20. Rainy Day Goodbye
21. 99 Days
22. All Alone With Friends

Text entry: Re-compiled 1998, to include the previously-45-only tracks Janine and The Trouble With Me Is You (45 remix). The original (LP) version of The Trouble With Me Is You and the LP track Bad Cop are left out in order to make room. Bought 29/08/98 at HMV, Bond Street (£6.99).
END

As you can see, there was another change: the 45 remix of The Trouble With Me is You was substituted for the original album version. This was the result of pressure from fans for those two vinyl-only tracks to be released on CD. I remember making a call to Chris Blair, who was doing the remastering for this 2-on-1 at Abbey Road. He told me that he had received two tapes of The Trouble... and wanted to know which was which. He played one of the versions over the phone to me and asked which it was. It was the hitherto vinyl-only single version.

"Another Side of Hank Marvin", as re-compiled, has a running time of 76:26. The track Bad Cop has a playing time of 03:58 and the original LP version of The Trouble With Me Is You comes to 03:10. It would not have been possible to fit in Bad Cop at all. The other track might just have been squeezed in - perhaps. Possibly not.

As far as I am aware, Bad Cop has only been made available on CD once, which was on the 1991 Pickwick CD reissue of "Words And Music" (Pickwick PWKS 4040), but it could have been released on a more recent collection which has escaped my attention. I bet Paul Wray knows...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Hank Marvin - Bad Cop/Janine

Postby drakula63 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks. That makes it all very clear. Just a shame that for the single album CDs they couldn't have made a bit more of an effort. I suppose they COULD have thought that 'Bad Cop' was an instrumental... but when the lyrics are reproduced in the centre, and it's made quite clear that it's a 'song', that really should have indicated to them that something was wrong. I'd have put 'The Trouble With Me Is You' 7" edit on Words and Music as an extra track and 'Janine' on All Alone With Friends as a bonus track. Maybe next time...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Return to People