Steve Reynolds Funeral 17 June 2021

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Steve Reynolds - Hank2k

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm

dave robinson wrote:Thanks Iain, As someone who is still here having endured life threatening illness during the past few years, I am desperately keen to know and understand what happened to Steve as it was so sudden. I don't think I ever met him, unless he perhaps said hello at Shadowmania and apart from here on the site I didn't know him that well, but we did discuss over Facebook Messenger my recording techniques and sound and I remember picking his brains about Britain's Got Talent when we were approached in 2018, which resulted in our not following through with the invite to appear.
It makes you realise just how fragile life is and that we need to be nice to each other, as he was.

Always been a favourite song of mine and fits with that very common chord sequence very well. Really enjoyed your version which reminds one of the 'Hard Days Night' version. It was a terrible shock to hear Steve had died...so young.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:52 pm

dave robinson wrote:... it makes you realise just how fragile life is and that we need to be nice to each other, as he was.

Well said sir
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Stratpack » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm

Shocked and saddened to hear this news. Condolences to his nearest and dearest.
Mike
Stratpack

Full Real Name: mike behagg

Postby SteveB » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:38 pm

I was shocked and devastated to hear the news of Steve passing.
I watched him on YouTube on Saturday and had communicated with him over the past few weeks and he seemed all well and fine.
Steve was an absolute gentleman, a brilliant guitar player who was always kind and considerate to all.
He loved to play and he worked hard at delivering fine performances, he was an inspiration to us all.
I will never forget him and his playing.
My greatest sympathy and sincere condolences to Steve's family and friends.
SteveB.
SteveB

Full Real Name: Steve Bass

Postby Rich Cowling » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:14 pm

RIP Steve... Thank you for the music.
Rich Cowling

Full Real Name: Richard Cowling

Postby shadocaster1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Heartbreaking news, and a true gentleman taken from us far too early, sincere condolences to Steve's family, he will be sorely missed within the Shadows community for his talent, and enthusiasm. RIP Steve.
shadocaster1

Full Real Name: Kev Scrimshaw

Postby Razzmataz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:25 pm

The following, written by our chairman Trevor Byford, was sent out to all members of "The Friends of The Shadows Guitar Club Southend" this afternoon. I am posting it here rather than starting another thread via the Club page:

Dear Friends of the Shadows Club Members,

Steve 1.jpg
Steve 1.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 20067 times

We have had some very sad news recently, about the sudden death of one of the club's finest guitarists. Steve Reynolds has consistently impressed us all with his excellent, amazing playing at the club meetings. Back in the day, Steve's Dad was a huge Shadows fan, and little Steve, aged 8 or 9, used to sit there watching 'The Shadows Live' video when he couldn't sleep. Then one day he went to see The Rapiers, and as soon as he heard 'Saturday Night at the Duckpond' (and that amazing Colin Pryce-Jones sound), by his own admission, he was hooked!

Messing about on his sister's acoustic, half-size guitar, at the age of 9 or 10 he continually badgered his Mum & Dad into buying him a 'Fender Stratocaster' but made do, for the moment, with a black 'Encore', thin bodied, no trem, one pickup guitar he got for Christmas that year, tactfully bought for him in case he lost interest. But by the age of 11 or 12, and still bugging his parents, his Mum & Dad bought him a brand-new Red 'Fender Squier Stratocaster' costing £129. Now he was on his way . . .

I remember when he first arrived at our Shadows Club as a raw beginner, with some wrong notes and gaps, but oh boy! did he learn fast and improved month on month at an incredible pace. He was obviously very interested in guitars and Hank's sound and had a natural ability. He was so brave too, entering 'Britain's Got Talent' on ITV in 2014.Now that takes real nerve and courage!

Steve 2.jpg
Steve 2.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 20067 times

Lately, he also had his own 'YouTube' channel, offering technical advice and an enormous number of videos of him playing Shadows material, as well as tunes made popular by other artists. He also organised his own Covid-19 "Lockdown Live stream show" with a feature of playing requests, chatting and tips.

As you probably know, he also formed and led, 'The Wannabe Shadows' as lead guitarist, a popular and well-booked band. His knowledge of our musical environment and how to get 'That Sound' was truly amazing, and showed a deep love of what we do; and wasn't he a talented musician!

Everyone loved his playing of Shads stuff, but he also played and introduced what was for the club, a different kind of music in his renditions of non-Shadows stuff as well. It was so beautifully played, that other club members now branch out in other directions too, which enhances our listening pleasure.

I remember when he was able to get me a rare valve Meazzi Echo machine and told me of an old beat up one that was for sale in Belgium. He organised the purchase for me and arranged to get it restored by Amanda from Birmingham, famous for refurbing old Meazzi's. Many thanks Steve! The exercise took rather longer than we thought, but he was always pushing to get it finished, for which I am eternally grateful and I love it.

His death has truly shocked those who have heard of his untimely passing away. I still can't believe we will not see him again at the club, and it will not be the same again. What a guitar hero and genuinely helpful, nice guy. We will miss you so much Steve, as a player, and a friend. Who's going to tell us about all the new gadgets available now?

We would like to extend, on behalf of the guitar club, our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends and share with them our terrible, irreplaceable loss. Once we find out when his funeral is, we will be sending a floral tribute in the shape of a Red 'Fender Stratocaster' on behalf of all our club members.

With great sorrow and admiration, for Steve, who filled his short life with so many achievements.

Trevor Byford.

(Chairman)

RIP Steve Reynolds, musician and friend.
Razzmataz

Full Real Name: Paul Beard

Postby Gerry McFarlane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Just like all of you I was shocked and saddened to hear the news about Steve. He was an inspiration to many of us including myself. I learned so much from watching his YouTube videos. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Gerry McFarlane

Full Real Name: Gerry McFarlane

Postby Teflon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Steve’s twin sister Kerry sends her appreciation of all your messages here on the ShadowMusic site. She promises to let us all know what happened once they know and are ready to share it.

I don't suppose any more has been heard regarding what happened to Steve? As I think I said in an earlier post, it's really none of our business, but nevertheless, his tragic sudden passing had a huge impact on a number of us here, and understanding what happened to him would perhaps provide a degree of closure.

Still miss Steve. His live streams were a God send during lockdown and his positive approach to life never failed to raise the spirit.

Cliff

As said above, Kerry says she will let us know. I think we should honour that and wait until she has.
As a policy we keep away from personal stuff on these message boards, although there’s nothing wrong - indeed, everything right - in saluting Steve’s contribution to our shared love for the music!
Iain
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Steve Reynolds Funeral

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:Steve’s twin sister Kerry sends her appreciation of all your messages here on the ShadowMusic site. She promises to let us all know what happened once they know and are ready to share it.

I posted that in January. It is now June and the agonising wait for Kerry and all the family is finally over. Kerry has put this on her Facebook page:

After a long 5 months, Steven will be laid to rest on Thursday 17th June 2021.
Steven’s funeral will be going from our parents' house in Romford and we ask that if you wish to pay your respects, due to covid, that you do so as he leaves mum’s house.
Our family will be having a service at Upminster cemetery where our dad is resting. We are limited on numbers for the service but if you wish to pay respects at his graveside, please can you message myself or Victoria Reynolds so we can keep a track on numbers.
Steven was well loved and we know a lot of people have waited for this news. There will be a donation link soon in place of flowers, but if you wish to send flowers, please message myself or Victoria for the address.
For those who wish to watch via a zoom link, please message us and we will get this forwarded to you. This is for the graveside part of the service and we ask that you keep the link to yourselves out of respect for Steven. If someone asks you for the link, please point them in our direction and we can help them with that. Thanks for understanding.

Here is a link to her Facebook posting. For those who can access it, this would be the way to get in touch with her.
https://www.facebook.com/kerry.reynoldshurst/posts/10165235418795537
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to People