Trevor Peacock RIP

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Trevor Peacock RIP

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Scriptwriter, songwriter, actor - from early collaborator with Jack Good on Six-Five Special and Oh Boy!, 60s hit songs, Shakespeare to the Vicar of Dibley - he seemed to have done it all. Sadly, another unique and versatile personality has gone.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Trevor Peacock RIP

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 pm

No no no no no no no ... yes :(
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RayL » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:29 pm

Wikipedia says
He wrote the 1960s pop hit "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter", which was recorded by Herman's Hermits.[6] Other hit songs to his credit include "Mystery Girl" (recorded by Jess Conrad),[7] "Made You" (Adam Faith),[8] "Gossip Calypso" (Bernard Cribbins),[9] "Stick Around" (Billy Fury),[10] "That's What Love Will Do"[11] and "Nature's Time For Love"[12] (both recorded by Joe Brown).

Peacock wrote the lyrics for several hit singles by The Vernons Girls. The songs he wrote for the group include "Be Nice To Him Mama", "You Know What I Mean", "Funny All Over" and "He'll Never Come Back".[13] He contributed the lyrics for the musical show Passion Flower Hotel (music by John Barry), and for a musical based on the newspaper cartoon strip, Andy Capp (music by Alan Price). Before his acting career took off, Peacock compered Drumbeat for the BBC, also writing scripts for Oh Boy! and Six-Five Special.

I can't let mention of Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter go by without again quoting from Mickey Most, who was the producer on that session for Herman's Hermits. He's speaking of Peter Noone.
The one he'll always be remembered for is Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter which is probably the worst record ever been made.
Well, ever I've been associated with, so much that I don't even remember making it. I made it but I don't remember making it.
You get a phone call from MGM saying "We need an album by Thursday" and you get the lads down and we're in the studio - What can we do?
And they say "Well, er . . ." and I say "What do you do on stage?"
"der . .der . . everyone's doing that one . . . . I do this one Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter dunk-a-dunk"
"All right, let's try it"
Yea, all right, put it down, send it to America, forget about it.
Then three weeks later you get a phone call "We want to bring it out as a single"
"What? You got to be . .? Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter? Oh, is it on the album?"
And that's how it was, and that particular single did three quarters of a million in one day.

Trevor Peacock's songwriter's royalties must have brought him in a tidy sum!
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby MeBHank » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:39 pm

I met Trevor a handful of times. He was in the audience for some daytime music sessions I performed. He would be transfixed and would beam with enjoyment in response to the music. He sat down with me and chatted once, after a little gig, and he told me he would have loved to have been more involved with music, but that 'other things came along.' 'Other things' such as the Royal Shakespeare Company and a cracking acting career!

The last time I saw him I mentioned Mrs Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter and, although he was becoming more unwell, he immediately smiled and asked 'Do you play that? Mrs Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter?' I said, 'No, Trevor, but I'll try and learn it for you for next time!' Unfortunately, 'next time' didn't come.

Even when he was unwell and suffering with dementia he was a kind, gracious, and warm man and everyone loved being around him, regardless of his status and fame. He must have been wonderful company before his illness. He always spoke with a smile. A true gentleman.

Rest in peace.
Last edited by MeBHank on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby anniv 63 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:30 pm

When Hermans Hermits played the Concert Hall in Glasgow sometime back in the 90s
my wife went round the side foyer at half time for a fag break and was talking with a guy
with glasses who she thought looked familiar to her.
Turns out it was the late Derek Leckenby of the Hermits with a nice clean duster to stick under
the bridge piece for Mrs Brown!!!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 am

MeBHank wrote:I met Trevor a handful of times. He was in the audience for some daytime music sessions I performed. He would be transfixed and would beam with enjoyment in response to the music. He sat down with me and chatted once, after a little gig, and he told me he would have loved to have been more involved with music, but that 'other things came along.' 'Other things' such as the Royal Shakespeare Company and a cracking acting career!

The last time I saw him I mentioned Mrs Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter and, although he was becoming more unwell, he immediately smiled and asked 'Do you play that? Mrs Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter?' I said, 'No, Trevor, but I'll try and learn it for you for next time!' Unfortunately, 'next time' didn't come.

Even when he was unwell and suffering with dementia he was a kind, gracious, and warm man and everyone loved being around him, regardless of his status and fame. He must have been wonderful company before his illness. He always spoke with a smile. A true gentleman.

Rest in peace.

That's a lovely post, Justin.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 pm

It seems to difficult to imagine Trevor and Jack Good during their formative days in 1956 as a comedy double act at the Windmill Theatre, but then nothing should really surprise us about these characters, particularly the latter!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Return to People