Eric Thacker ( Ecca ). R.I.P.

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Eric Thacker ( Ecca ). R.I.P.

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:37 pm

This morning I've received the devastating news of the death of Eric Thacker.

Eric bought a smile to many over a great number of years. His prowess with a guitar
was legendary. His creativity with video and audio absolutely splendid.

To say that he will be missed in so many ways goes without saying. This sad news
obviously comes as a great shock to everybody and to the multitudes of close friends
who had the great pleasure of counting him as a friend. And especially the people
who got to play music with him.

I know you'll join me in sending deepest condolences to Eric's family. And in particular
his wife Chrissie who is a beautiful lady both inside and out.

R.I.P. old pal. Thanks for so many memories and laughs. And, of course, the music.

Alan Bakewell.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Re: Eric Thacker ( Ecca ). R.I.P.

Postby phil kelly » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:00 pm

So sorry to learn this sad news ,i met Ecca at justins Shadowfix celebration a few years back, he was a really nice guy, and what a character ! we chatted quite a bit over the weekend and as you say he was very funny, but also very knowledgeable, and yes, a great guitar player, i enjoyed being in his company, My sincere condolances to his family and all his friends,
May he RIP
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby dave robinson » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:09 pm

To say I'm shocked an devastated to learn of this news is a massive understatement as only a few days ago we were making plans for the future. My sincere condolences to his family and closest friends. RIP Ecca .
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby petercreasey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:34 pm

Last edited by petercreasey on Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Tigerdaisy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 pm

So sorry to hear the news- Ecca was certainly a character- RIP.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Only recently found out and yes sudden and unexpected sad news indeed,

Known Ecca for 16 years through the Hankies club and we sat together and shared drinks, food and fun . Always great company and a real character and he was very helpful to anyone . A very good friend and will be much missed.

Condolences to his wife Chris and family. Rest in peace Eric me old curmudgeon. (Eric's signiture on Shadowmusic by the way )
Last edited by roger bayliss on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:45 pm

I never met him on a personal basis, but I realised some time ago from his rare posts that he was something of a character, and certainly a very talented man.

R.I.P. Eric.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:56 pm

I am so shocked to hear of the sudden death, yesterday, of my friend Eric "Ecca" Thacker, like me (and so many of the rest of us), a Working Class Boy.

We first "met" on the pages of the ShadowMusic site in the early 2000s and met face to face for the first time at a pub in Broad Street, Birmingham, in 2005 just before The Shadows' first concert that year at the nearby NIA. There was even an Ecca tale to that...

Eric, Chris and friends passed through Kent on their way to a French holiday and spent some time with us at the old SMSE Shads club in Medway and I returned that gracious favour a couple of years later with a visit to the Hankies when I was up in Dudley on business. Then there was Justin Daish's "Shadowfix", where Eric and the other Hankies were in charge of the sound, etc. I also once visited Eric and Chris at home when I collected an echo machine he'd built for me.

Eric was nothing if not wonderful company, with an incredible and incisive sense of humour, whether in the flesh or over the electrons from 150 miles away. This is a sad loss for so many people, but for Chris and the rest of the family, it has to be incalculable.

RIP, Eric.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bob t » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Only just seen the news, this is devastating.
Ecca will be sadly missed by so many.
I have known him for a good many years through the Hankies and shared many a good evening drinking and eating pork pies. Always willing to help and encourage everyone but quick to pick up on others mistakes, all in good fun of course
R.I.P. old friend, you will be missed

Condolences to Chris and family
Bob
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby David Martin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:46 pm

A larger than life character. He will be missed...

R.I.P.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Next

Return to People