Eric Thacker ( Ecca ). R.I.P.

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Eric Thacker ( Ecca ). R.I.P.

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:51 pm

Like everyone else, total shock and disbelief at this news. He had a wicked sense of humour that will be missed as he will. RIP.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby rogera » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Ecca was indeed a character and although alas I never met him, he helped me many times via email.

RIP
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby chas » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:30 pm

I almost feel like asking if it's true - I enjoyed a facebook friendship with him and only last night I was laughing at some of his latest posts. What a character and loved by all who knew him. RIP Ecca and my sincerest condolences to his 'waife' Chrissy and their family.

Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:44 am

As with others, I knew Ecca as a name and a character on this site many years before I was able to chat to him at the Shadowsfix event. I took to him at once and realised that you had to meet him for real to get him.

I think of the Hankies, the eTap2HW and, of course, cobs. Plus posts written in “that accent!”

Curmudgeon? Not really at all!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby MeBHank » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:01 am

What a horrible shock.

Ecca was not just a member of the Hankies; he was the embodiment of the Hankies. I only met him a couple of times, but I loved his irreverent, boyish enthusiasm and humour. A short time spent with Ecca was enough to remind you that life isn't as bad as it sometimes seems.

I don't wish to offend anyone with this comparison (I think you'll understand my meaning here), but sometimes the Shadows community has reminded me of the chaps from 'Last of the Summer Wine': some wonderful people, diverse and eclectic, rediscovering their childhood and indulging their passions once again during their later years and their retirements, united by their love of guitar melodies. Truly, if the Shadows community was set as a sitcom, Ecca would be one of the key characters, and would deliver many of the punchlines, whilst often also providing the voice of reason. He was a great example of what mutual enjoyment of music should be, without letting anything affect such a simple pleasure.

He was a kid at heart. I look at the pictures of him as a teenager and I just know his approach to life had barely changed since those days. His smile certainly didn't.

I'd known Ecca for a few years through ShadowMusic and I loved his carefree manner. The first time I got to meet him was at the Hankies, and he was every bit the magnetic, hilarious, joyous, vibrant character I'd hoped he would be.

Alongside Amanda Hambidge, Ecca's support at 'ShadowsFix' was greatly appreciated by me; he helped the Friday night club session flow whilst I focused on the wider management of the event and preparations for the following day's concert.

He was remarkably talented, and could achieve anything he set out to do. He was a wonderful guitarist, but though Facebook and ShadowMusic we could appreciate from afar his mastery of carpentry, electronics, computer technology (such as the making of his brilliant videos), and writing. Ecca loved life, he loved his family, and he reveled in his friendships.

I think of his dear chum Al Bakewell, whose plectrum hire business will be greatly impacted.

Ecca and the other Hankies accepted me as a 'Malcolm', which I considered a great honour. I feel privileged to have shared cheese cobs with, and had beer mats thrown at me by, the legendary Ecca Thacker.

The Shadows Family has lost one of its warmest, brightest lights, and today our lives are all the colder and dimmer for it.

My thoughts are with his wife Chris and his family.

RIP Ecca.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Bojan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:10 am

Oh no !! This is terrible!! I never knew Ecca personally, we live in different countries, but I have known him on these boards for more than 20 years and I have always thought of him as a good friend and a very witty and kindhearted guy, not to say extremely talented. I am truly devastated and left with a feeling of great sadness and emptiness. Condolences to his family. R.I.P. dear Ecca!! :cry:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby tolo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:46 am

Wow. This is awful news. I never met Ecca personally - but we spoke often on email. He was always trying to get me involved with one of his expansive - multi country - collaborations!! How I wish now that I had found the time to do one. He always had fierce energy and a wicked sense of humour - pulling no punches. He was also an excellent guitarist by the way - and his personality shone through in his playing too.

2021 has not been a good year for the Community...

Rest in peace Eric.
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby StuartD » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:31 am

HI

This is devastating news and reminds us all of our own mortality.

RIP Eric

You will be sadly missed by a lot of people and that is your legacy

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby pjr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:36 am

It was always good to see Ecca walk through the door at the North Notts Club.
On behalf of myself and all the club members, condolences to his family.

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby John Brown » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Very sad news, such great talent and humour. He will be greatly missed. RIP Eric, my thoughts and prayers are with his family
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

PreviousNext

Return to People