Daniel Martin

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Daniel Martin

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:18 pm

Many of you will remember a very young and eager lad from Doncaster called Daniel Martin back around 2006 as he had been visiting and participating at various Shadows clubs at that time, culminating in becoming the lead guitarist for The Foot Tappers and being invited by Bruce Welch to play lead guitar in Phil Kelly's absence due to illness.
I gave him a job with Past Masters playing and honing his skills by giving him stuff other than Hank tunes to play, explaining that if he wanted to make a living as I do, he would have to expand his repertoire somewhat and take an interest in other genres of music.
He also deputised on drums for Past Masters and to this day in my opinion is one of the best drummers we have had, nothing flashy, but stable and musical.
Just after I became ill in 2013 he helped keep my band together, along with Adrian Fountain, eventually forming his own outfit with Adrian and going over to Nashville to see how it's done. Between them they put on some great country shows here in the UK , bringing over talent from Nashville and then Danny and Adrian went their own ways after I introduced them to Dave Berry's lead guitarist who got them into the Cruisers for a few years. Ade went on to The Fourmost and now The New Amen Corner and is very busy, whilst Danny went to Ireland and reached great heights on their country scene.
Adrian still plays with me in Past Masters when available so we're in touch all the time, but I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to receive a CD from Danny, his new offering of 'The Man From Nowhere' that he put together during lockdown. I have to say that I'm delighted that he took my advice all those years ago and has become a very proficient guitarist and his CD stands up there with any of the other I have as a 'good listen', with a nice choice of material and not swamped in echo. I know Danny's been listening to Albert Lee and it shows, you couldn't have a better mentor to build up those fast licks. While he's been doing that I've been learning pedal steel and it isn't easy, but as I can no longer do the speed thing because of damaged fingers, it gives me a focus and something to while away the time between concerts.
Anyway I'm beginning to ramble, what this is about is to let you know that one of our own is doing something worthwhile through gaining experience from here amongst us and I'm proud of him. You can get Danny's CD at Leo's Den and it is worth checking out. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Daniel Martin

Postby alanbakewell » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Splendid news. I first met Daniel at North Notts circa 2005. Eric Thacker and myself
visited. We were made welcome and enjoyed listening to both people playing to backing
tracks and a very accomplished back line.

I had recently purchased my left handed Fender Custom Shop 1956 NOS Stratocaster. I noticed a young lad
sitting with Robbo. We got chatting and he told me he too was left handed. I said, "Well, keep
your eyes off that I've only just had it".....No I didn't. I gave him my pride and joy to play.
And play it he did. He was indeed a pleasure to listen to.

A couple of years later, he asked if he could borrow that guitar to play with Bruce Welch's Shadows.
And a fine job he made of that.

Ecca told him many years ago. "Go for it, you have the talent go and enjoy it". ( Takes one to know one. )

Over the years I've had the pleasure of watching him perform and indeed watching him play that very
same Stratocaster when he's visited the Hankies.

I'm happy to say that I'm still in touch with Daniel and look forward to the next time he wants to play
that Strat.

It goes without saying that I've only ever wished him the best.

He recently sent me a photograph, which, I have to admit annoyed me slightly.
He still looks as young as he ever did. And.....he still has all his hair.

God bless you mate. Keep on doin' what you're doin'
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:22 am

You're right Alan it was earlier than 2006 because at the same club I lent The Foot Tappers rhythm guitarist Joel my new Premium white Strat to play that I'd just bought in 2005 as well. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby George Geddes » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:57 pm

There will be an interview with DM in the next issue of Pipeline magazine.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby neil2726 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:37 pm

Always been a big admirer of Dans! His performance with Bruce at Shadowmania was a joy! Although he plays various styles I think he was probably the best Shads style lead guitarist I've seen!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Return to People