Judith Durham has died

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Judith Durham has died

Postby Moderne » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:31 pm

Sad news that Judith Durham has died. What an amazing and unique voice she had. I can't think of another singer (apart from Don and Phil) who has such an emotional effect on me. And like Don and Phil, before Phil died, I always hoped The Seekers would get back together one more time. The Carnival is Over... :cry:
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Re: Judith Durham has died

Postby alewis41 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:22 pm

Moderne wrote:Sad news that Judith Durham has died. What an amazing and unique voice she had. I can't think of another singer (apart from Don and Phil) who has such an emotional effect on me. And like Don and Phil, before Phil died, I always hoped The Seekers would get back together one more time. The Carnival is Over... :cry:

Well said, Clive. The Seekers were surely the trailblazers for other Oz bands and singers to make it big in the U.K. and U.S. Judith had a great voice and they had some great songs. RIP.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Moderne » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:45 pm

...and did you know (you probably did know, Andrew) that John Farrar produced an album (Giving and Taking) for them in 1976 - though I don't think Judith was singing with them at the time. How he found the time in between The Shadows, moving to the States and Olivia...!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Unsospero » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:13 pm

Sad news indeed. My wife and I have just watched The Seekers Farewell Concert DVD from 2014 as our little tribute. Judith had a wonderful voice which she performed to perfection. We were at their final concert at the RHA in 2014 and whilst I have had the odd tear in my eye at a Cliff or Shads concert, it's the only time I remember actual tears running down my face, and I wasn't the only one. Bruce Woodley and Keith Potger are excellent guitarists, not our style of course and Keith used a twelve string for just about the entire concert which I found quite unusual.
RIP Judith
Unsospero

Full Real Name: Graham Wyld

Postby alewis41 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:26 pm

Moderne wrote:...and did you know (you probably did know, Andrew) that John Farrar produced an album (Giving and Taking) for them in 1976 - though I don't think Judith was singing with them at the time. How he found the time in between The Shadows, moving to the States and Olivia...!

That’s right. John and Bruce Woodley wrote some songs together for that album. I think Woodley was living in California at that point so maybe that’s how the album got done.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Phrygian » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm

Great voice! RIP Judith!
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:20 am

With early ambitions to be a pianist, in addition to her vocal talents, Judith studied classical piano before setting out with the Seekers.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Return to People