R.I.P. Rob Bradford

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: R.I.P. Rob Bradford

Postby Learig331 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:15 pm

This is very sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Rob but would have liked to. I'm not much of a poster in this forum, I mainly come here as a fan of the music and Rob's posts were always highlights. I found them informative and entertaining. His love of the music and the Shads shone through. He will be a great loss to our community. My condolences to his family and friends.
Learig331

Full Real Name: Will Cormack

Postby alewis41 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:22 am

I first came across Rob's name as the author of the sleeve notes for the See For Miles release of John Farrar's album on CD. That must have been around 25 years ago. I later read his excellent biography of John Rostill. Most recently I enjoyed one of his excellent articles in Record Collector magazine. Over the years Rob has helped all of us become more knowledgeable about the Shads and instrumental music and has worked to get old Shads tracks released and to keep their legacy alive.

An outstanding body of work that I have enjoyed immensely. RIP Rob and condolences to his family.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Moderne » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:07 am

What sad and shocking news! I met Rob a few times when he came to Worcester to review a Temebeats concert about 25 years ago - and he later wrote an article about them for Pipeline magazine. As he said himself, his great strength was writing about The Shadows and other instrumental acts. A lovely guy - I feel very sad.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Gee, just too many familiar people have died recently and now Rob... I first got to know about him via his extensive sleeve notes and articles in Record Collector. So sad he is no longer with us... Rest in peace Rob.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby dave robinson » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 am

This is dreadful news and I remember many happy conversations we had with Rob when he was a very good supporter of The Vibratos back in the early 2000s. Thank you for everything and RIP Rob.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Garystrat » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:43 pm

I didn’t know Rob, but knew how much he contributed to the community and have read many of his posts with interest, this is another very sad loss of “one of our own”.

RIP Rob
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby RayL » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 pm

This thread has so far concentrated on Rob as a Shadows enthusiast. Of course he had lots of other musical intrests. As a singer, and as the 'front man' in a band playing tambourine, marraccas and, on one tune, bongos.
It was in 2007 that I visited Rob and invited him to be the vocalist in the band that Ken Penrose and I were forming, The Triumphs, named after Joe Meek's 1960 record label, Triumph Records
Here we are (The Triumphs) playing at a 'Platinum Jubilee' street party in June of this year
the triumphs.JPG
the triumphs.JPG (116.63 KiB) Viewed 6567 times

L-R Trev Faull (K?B), Malcolm Lenny (guitar) Rob Bradford (vocals) with mic and tambourine, Ken Penrose (drums) Ray Liffen ( Bass).
It was a windy day and that traffic cone is stopping Rob's music stand from being blown over (and losing his set list)!

Rob was there for all our gigs, often in pain. At ourTheydon Bois gig for The West Essex Ramblers, he had difficulty climbing the stairs to the stage. Only when he had a hip replacement, could the doctors begin their treatment for his tumour.

He added his tenor voice to many choirs in the Reading area (tenors who can sight-read are always valuable). At my wife's funeral he led the singing of The Lord Is My Shepherd (her request)

The world has lost a good man.

Goodbye, Rob. It's been great knowing you.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Kevin Wooten » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:58 pm

Very sad to hear Rob Bradford has died. I met him a few times at various Pipeline Conventions and he always had time for a chat. I always enjoyed his informative sleeve notes on LPs and CDs, the latest on the recently released Joeland Guitar Sounds CD. Condolences to his family. R.I.P. Rob.
Kevin Wooten

Full Real Name: Kevin Wooten

Postby JimN » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:12 pm

The date for Rob's funeral has now been announced in various forums. The details are as follows.

Thursday 22nd December; 14:00.

West Berkshire Crematorium
Thatcham
Berks RG19 4LD

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby David Martin » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:21 am

I hope all goes well... sorry not able to be there.

We won't forget him...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

PreviousNext

Return to People