Jeff Beck Has Passed away

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Jeff Beck Has Passed away

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:43 pm

Another very sad loss early in this New Year
I believe his original Jeff Beck Group auditioned Jet Harris for bass guitar early 1967.
Dont think they got further than the downstairs pub room according to legend!!!
His first solo album Truth had some impressive blues tracks and my favourite choice of
Rod Stewart!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:32 am

Jeff's CD "Rock n Roll Party honouring Les Paul" has two interesting tracks "Apache & Sleepwalk" - other good songs/tunes are on it as well!
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:26 pm

anniv 63 wrote:Another very sad loss early in this New Year
I believe his original Jeff Beck Group auditioned Jet Harris for bass guitar early 1967.
Dont think they got further than the downstairs pub room according to legend!!!
His first solo album Truth had some impressive blues tracks and my favourite choice of
Rod Stewart!!!

Mike

In fairness to Jet’s memory, other sources suggest that he did play bass for the Jeff Beck Group briefly in 1967, but that they were going through growing pains and got through a lot of short-term players before they found a line-up that gelled with their musical aims.

One such source: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/jeff_beck_group
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:36 pm

Probably the guitarist who was most admired by his peers.
Big fan of Gene Vincent and The Bluecaps - recorded a tribute to Gene, which is worth a listen IMHO

Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:36 am

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's in November, 2007, featuring a bass solo by young Australian prodigy, Tal Wilkenfeld...

https://youtu.be/lw8fBR_XiPs

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Mark Burton » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:22 am

Very sad news ….
Just been listening to “Where Were You” from Guitar Shop which I think shows his brilliance
RIP Jeff
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:15 pm

I was devastated to hear this news on Wednesday as Jeff Beck was my third 'discovery' back in 1964 when we were lucky enough to be on the same bill as The Yardbirds at Hull University . We all anticipated seeing Eric Clapton on lead guitar, but he had quit the band and this was Jeff's first gig as a Yardbird. I was disappointed until I heard Jeff play, he did an amazing version of Chuck Berry's Guitar Boogie, involving a great deal of showmanship and trickery with some amazing licks, later to become 'Jeff's Boogie'. I was a fan from that day and tried to learn from him all through the sixties, sharing the bill with The Yardbirds again at Bury Palais on the occasion of Jimmy Page's debut with the band. On that night Beck, Page and Jim McCarty joined us on stage for a twenty minute blues jam that at the time just seemed a loud noise, but we had no idea of the significance of that moment and there were no cameras to record it.
All I have is the memory of that and as time went on and Jeff became more detached from his early style, I lost him a little as he went what appeared too complicated for me, but in recent years I picked up on his work and have nothing but admiration for what he did with a guitar. Along with Hank and Chet, he helped me form some kind of playing style back then, as have many others that have given me a living. RIP Jeff.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Previous

Return to People