Ian Bairnson 1953-2023

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Ian Bairnson 1953-2023

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Ian Bairnson, the Scottish guitarist and multi-instrumentalist, passed away on April 7th at the age of 69.

His distinctive sound and style first came to public attention in the band Pilot which although shortlived had several excellent singles, produced by Alan Parsons.

Later he appeared on the first five Kate Bush albums, and, along with his Pilot bandmate Alan Paton, every Alan Parsons Project album. He was also on the side project Keats which comprised several APP members, plus Peter Bardens (ex-Camel) and Colin Blunstone.

He has had more influence on my own sound and style than many other guitarists I could name.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: Ian Bairnson 1953-2023

Postby alewis41 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:01 am

Uncle Fiesta wrote:Ian Bairnson, the Scottish guitarist and multi-instrumentalist, passed away on April 7th at the age of 69.

His distinctive sound and style first came to public attention in the band Pilot which although shortlived had several excellent singles, produced by Alan Parsons.

Later he appeared on the first five Kate Bush albums, and, along with his Pilot bandmate Alan Paton, every Alan Parsons Project album. He was also on the side project Keats which comprised several APP members, plus Peter Bardens (ex-Camel) and Colin Blunstone.

He has had more influence on my own sound and style than many other guitarists I could name.

David Paton I believe.

I loved Ian Bairnson’s work with Alan Parsons and his solo on Wuthering Heights was fantastic. RIP.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:45 am

Yes it was David Paton. I saw him and Ian Bairnson at a Pilot gig back in the 70s. They were both very talented musicians, as the Alan Parsons Project displayed. Sad news about Ian Bairnson, thanks for letting us know.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:04 pm

You are correct of course, it was David Paton. I really need a new computer, this old one doesn't type very well these days.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to People