The Everly Brothers Reunion: Cliff & The Shadows connections

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Everly Brothers Reunion: Cliff & The Shadows connections

Postby iefje » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:19 pm

Last Saturday evening, The Everly Brothers Reunion Concert was broadcasted on BBC2. It was recorded on September the 23rd, 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall in London. I had never seen this concert before and was surprised and delighted that it contained so many connections with Cliff Richard & The Shadows:
- Phil Everly sang two duets with Cliff, called "She Means Nothing To Me" and "All I Have To Do Is Dream" (live in 1981).
- Albert Lee on guitar played as a guest on the Local Heroes' album "One Of Our Shadows Is Missing" on the track "Train Spotting" and he played together with The Shadows (minus Hank) on the double DVD "70th Birthday Celebration".
- Martin Jenner on guitar played in Cliff's backing band and also wrote "Riders Of The Range" for The Shadows, as well as composing several tracks with Hank for the latter's albums "Into The Light" and "Heartbeat".
- Mark Griffiths on bass guitar played in Cliff's backing band, with The Shadows and in Hank's backing band.
- Graham Jarvis on drums played in Cliff's backing band and on two of Hank's vocal solo recordings from the album "Words And Music".
- Pete Wingfield on keyboards played on Cliff Richard & The Young Ones featuring Hank Marvin recording of "Living Doll".

Don and Phil of course also wrote "It's All Over", which Cliff recorded and had a hit with. Both Cliff Richard & The Shadows have sung and recorded various of The Everly Brothers' songs.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: The Everly Brothers Reunion: Cliff & The Shadows connect

Postby RayL » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:01 am

For the generation that grew up with rock'n'roll, Don and Phil showed us what two voices singing in harmony could achieve, the obvious example being All I have to do is dream where Don sings the 'tune' and Phil sings a harmony above him. Hank and Bruce, when singing Sonny Curtis' Baby My heart have got Everly harmonies in mind.

In the Everly program that preceded the Everly concert, it was noticeable that, when the two sang on one mic, Phil could stand back and project his voice to match the level of Don. If only Phil (the younger) had not smoked, he might have lived many years more than his life's span.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby alewis41 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:17 am

iefje wrote:Last Saturday evening, The Everly Brothers Reunion Concert was broadcasted on BBC2. It was recorded on September the 23rd, 1983 at the Royal Albert Hall in London. I had never seen this concert before and was surprised and delighted that it contained so many connections with Cliff Richard & The Shadows:
- Phil Everly sang two duets with Cliff, called "She Means Nothing To Me" and "All I Have To Do Is Dream" (live in 1981).
- Albert Lee on guitar played as a guest on the Local Heroes' album "One Of Our Shadows Is Missing" on the track "Train Spotting" and he played together with The Shadows (minus Hank) on the double DVD "70th Birthday Celebration".
- Martin Jenner on guitar played in Cliff's backing band and also wrote "Riders Of The Range" for The Shadows, as well as composing several tracks with Hank for the latter's albums "Into The Light" and "Heartbeat".
- Mark Griffiths on bass guitar played in Cliff's backing band, with The Shadows and in Hank's backing band.
- Graham Jarvis on drums played in Cliff's backing band and on two of Hank's vocal solo recordings from the album "Words And Music".
- Pete Wingfield on keyboards played on Cliff Richard & The Young Ones featuring Hank Marvin recording of "Living Doll".

Don and Phil of course also wrote "It's All Over", which Cliff recorded and had a hit with. Both Cliff Richard & The Shadows have sung and recorded various of The Everly Brothers' songs.

Great work putting that together!

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:24 pm

iefje wrote:The Shadows have sung and recorded various of The Everly Brothers' songs.

Indeed, Hank and Bruce did an Everlys-style close-harmony act as “The Geordie Boys” when they first arrived in London as youngsters.

I was in the RAH audience for the 1983 Everlys’ Reunion. What a gig that was: unforgettable!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to People