A touch of nostalgia with a Jerry Lordan connection

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

A touch of nostalgia with a Jerry Lordan connection

Postby Garystrat » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:08 pm

A touch of nostalgia with a Jerry Lordan connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrN5UaKiY8

I found some of his early recollections really brought back some memories, during the interview he still seemed to be in awe of some of the early stars he was rubbing shoulders with to the point of getting their autographs on “Peggy Sue” his guitar.

I was fortunate enough to meet Alvin when he opened a fund raising school event I was organising back in 1989. He was such a really nice, quietly spoken and unassuming man who made quite an impression on everyone that day!

Phill Collins, who was also a great supporter of the local school was going to open it for us, but had to drop out at the last minute due to recording commitments. One of the mums knew Susan Jameson (When The Boat Comes In), who knew Julie Walters (life was sure complicated for a boy back then!) who said I’ll ask my friend Alvin and without hesitation he agreed. I had helicopter rides in one of the school playing fields and he was absolutely thrilled when I suggested we fly him in from a local farmers field. He was far from the mean, moody stage persona, he insisted on meeting all the organisers personally upon arrival and was absolutely charming (the ladies were certainly swooning).

A couple of days later he phoned asking how much had we made for the school and seemed genuinely pleased that the event had raised several thousand pounds. I can’t help reflecting on what a sad loss it was when he passed away about 5 years after this interview. He was so well liked and thought of that around 50 members of the Harley Davidson Motor Cycle club formed part of his funeral cortege, along with a host of friends and celebrities.

Life and values seems to have change so much in recent years, but there have been and still are some really classy/caring people from the showbiz community who have freely given their time to helping others and good causes, many of whom may not have received official recognition for their generosity and kindness. Whilst there are still those of us who remember I thought it would be a nice tribute to remember and share any similar experiences.
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Return to People