R.I.P. Paul Rossiter

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: R.I.P. Paul Rossiter

Postby Spike » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:59 am

I want to extend my deepest gratitude for the messages of condolence and support during this incredibly challenging period. Your compassionate words have provided immense comfort to Kathy, Paul's wife. She was genuinely moved by your thoughtfulness and sends her heartfelt thanks.
Spike

Full Real Name: Spiro Hatzimichael

Postby Spike » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:45 am

**Funeral Notice**
The funeral of Professor Paul Rossiter will be held at:
**Seasons Funerals**
1 Tulloch Way, Canning Vale
**Date and Time**:
Tuesday, 17th October at 2:00 PM (AWST)
The service will be live streamed and the streaming link will be posted when its available.

I want to extend my deepest gratitude for the messages of condolence and support during this incredibly challenging period. Your compassionate words have provided immense comfort to Kathy, Paul's wife. She was genuinely moved by your thoughtfulness and sends her heartfelt thanks.
Spike

Postby Spike » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:51 am

FUNERAL NOTICE: PROFESSOR PAUL ROSSITER

https://etributes.seasons.com.au/etribu ... l-rossiter

Above is the link for Paul Rossiter's eTribute page.
30 minutes prior to the service a button labelled WEBCAST will appear down the bottom left side of the page. Opening will take you to the live streaming of the funeral service. Again this button will only appear 30 minutes prior and the recording will not start until the commencement of the service around 2.00pm on 17/10/2023.
It is recommended to REFRESH the web page every couple of minutes from the service commence time, if a 'Starting Soon' shows on the screen.
Disclaimer: While we do everything in our power to ensure a broadcast is not interrupted, we rely on external systems & internet providers.
Spike

Postby Phrygian » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:46 pm

I watched the video tribute to Paul that is linked above. I take it that Paul is playing guitar in the sound track. Very nice playing! What is the name of the first tune? It is familiar but I haven't heard it in a long, long time.
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:17 pm

The first melody heard at that URL is Petite Fleur, written by Sidney Bechet. It has been recorded fairly recently (meaning within the past few years) by Hank as a gypsy jazz styled piece.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:50 am

JimN wrote:The first melody heard at that URL is Petite Fleur, written by Sidney Bechet. It has been recorded fairly recently (meaning within the past few years) by Hank as a gypsy jazz styled piece.

Sidney Bechet was a jazz musician from New Orleans who settled in France where he was very popular. He first played clarinet before switching to soprano saxophone. He composed many hits, "Petite fleur" being the biggest.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby RayL » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:48 am

Phrygian wrote: It is familiar but I haven't heard it in a long, long time.

You would have heard it played on clarinet by Monty Sunshine from Chris Barber's band with rhythm guitar by Dickie Bishop. A 1959 recording by Joe Meek. The low register of the clarinet is emphasised by Joe's use of reverberation.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Phrygian » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:42 pm

Thank you for the replies to my question. I can't say for sure which version of Petite Fleur that I remember. My father played lots of jazz records when I was a kid. Paul's version is excellent!
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Postby Garystrat » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi Spike,

Thank you for posting the Etribute link, Paul, Gary and yourself are all highly respected Shads fans and it's nice to get a glimpse the man behind the technical stuff, it seems a life well lived!

Best wishes

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby Spike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:20 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind words.
These were the tunes requested by Paul to be played at his funeral:

Petite Fluer by Gary
Atlantis by Paul
Albatross by Gary