Dave Robinson a thankyou.

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Dave Robinson a thankyou.

Postby alanbakewell » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:38 am

Having watched Dave's You Tube videos comparing a Vox AC 30 to a Vox MV 50, I decided to purchase an MV 50 Clean.

I've had a Vox extension speaker complete with a 16ohm Celestion Green back for many years. 20 Years to be precise.

I took the opportunity to purchase the extension speaker locally. Using one of my late dad's phrases, "It'll come in for
something if I never use it." In fact I did with a Vox handwired AC15. I sold the Vox AC 15 to my old mate Roger Bayliss
who's made better use of it than I ever did.

The extension speaker then went back into storage, ( spare bedroom ), until the purchase of said MV 50.

My home studio, ( conservatory ) is perfect for my needs. After a few months of not playing guitar at all
I'm now getting back into it.
The point of this is, I wanted to thank Dave Robinson for his time and trouble making these, ( and many more )
videos as well as helping us with echo settings and various gear demonstrations.
Dave, you are an inspiration to me and many people on various forums. For that I thank you.
I hope you're soon over your health setbacks and look forward to seeing you in the future.

A freshly inspired. Alan Bakewell
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Re: Dave Robinson a thankyou.

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:42 pm

I would like to say thank you again Alan, that Vox AC15HW now with a blue is a keeper !

Glad you are happily playing again mate !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:01 pm

It's my pleasure Alan, I enjoy checking out stuff and comparing, it's something that interests me as I have an inquisitive mind.
I was delighted when I did that comparison between the real deal (hand wired AC30/4) with a very modern alternative by Vox, the MV-50 AC and MV-50 Clean.
It showed me that Vox know their sound and cherish the contribution it made to British rock & roll, pop & rock music. It demonstrated that anyone could achieve some of the 'magic' without having to break the bank.
I have recently been knocked out after discovering a reverb on my Zoom G5n that absolutely nails the Malcolm Addey guitar tone before Hank & Co arrived on the scene, which can be heard on Move It and other early pre Meazzi tracks, as well as when added to the Meazzi echo sound absolutely blows me away. It's subtle, but on many of the big hits you can hear it and not realise there's reverb on the guitar, believing it to be echo. The lads in our band have spent time with me doing A/B comparison listening tests whilst I play selected tunes and remove the reverb and listen to the 'magic' reappear when the reverb is added back to the guitar. We all know that Hank has categorically stated that he never used reverb - but Malcolm Addey certainly did and the difference when you get it 'right' is immense. I'm currently working on some clips and videos to show it and how to achieve it for those with the Zoom FX units that support this particular effect. I was made aware of this from listening to the old recordings closely as I was putting some stuff on a CD for one of my band mates. I noticed that almost all of us are guilty of over doing the echo volume and had a real close look at Hank's sound over the years, from the magical echo sound on Apache through to Wonderful Land, then when it slightly became 'drier' after Atlantis through the Shindig era, then the Burns sounds where it dried up even more. I was curious and I have since tweaked my echoes to try and get closer for my own satisfaction. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:23 am

Well deserved thanks, Dave.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:00 pm

Thank you David, but like I have said, it gives me satisfaction if my findings can benefit other people and I'm still at it so there will tfbe stuff to add as I look further into my ongoing purchases.
The latest thing for me is my new 'Inspired By Gibson'Epiphone J-200 in sunburst, all solid sitka spruce top and solid maple sides and back. I ordered the Udo Roesler 'Da Capo' amp recommended by Tommy Emmanuel to complement it. I was always impressed with Bruces rhythm guitar sound on those records and I had many a discussion with Dick Plant as to why it was not so easy to copy. True enough, a J200 does give the core sound, but other than Bruce's and Don Everly's on records I never felt anybody had it close in a live show. I sold my Gibson J-200 because I felt I couldn't get close enough, but now I've got my ears back, I am hearing very differently and I think I know what's needed. It keeps me out of trouble.
Watch this space. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to People