Jet's Birthday DVD

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Jet's Birthday DVD

Postby Mikey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:03 pm

My copy (number 25 of 70) of the DVD of Jet's 70th Birthday Party arrived on Friday. I'm waiting until Tuesday so that I can watch it instead of the football (I'm not a fan) and can really savour it!
I'm really looking forward to it. Has anyone esle who was there seen it yet?
Mikey

Re: Jet's Birthday DVD

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:05 am

never heard of it where can i get one please. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby d jones » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi Peter i've already looked into this subject as i could'nt get to the birthday bash due to work commitments the night before which would have entailed a 500 mile round trip drive on top finishing work at 6am and little or no sleep! I have found out this DVD is numbered too and only available to the people who attend the concert. A gutting result for a life long!! but that's life!
all the best
Dave
d jones

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

ok thanks dave :cry: peter
kipper

Postby Mikey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

No offence to the person who recorded it but the sound quality isn't so good as far as speech goes so Jet's dry wit and one-liners don't always come through clearly.
However, the music sounds fine and the DVD is a lovely souvenier of a great evening.
Mikey

Postby jetharrisfanclub » Tue May 04, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Mike, Peter and Dave
Sorry have to admit I have never come onto this portion of the site, actually don’t really know what made me this time, but as I have, thought I would just respond, and I’ll try and keep it as short as possible.

In July 2008 I decided to hold a 70th Birthday for Jet in July 2009, I found a venue (capable of holding 300 people) and main bands, and had in mind a few surprises for Jet. I then sent out a snail mail shot to all current members of the Jet Harris Fan Club, as well as past members (approx 350 letters were sent out), I also started a thread on this site (well the old site then) and continued to take it to the top of the main board for, maybe a month six weeks, can’t actually remember how long now. On top of this I had a flyer produced which Leo’s Den kindly sent out with ever item they sold as well as advertising the party on their web site. By the January of 2009, despite all of this I barely had 100 tickets sold, so I took the decision to continue with the party, but scrap most of the idea’s that I had, as they would all have cost money, including getting a professional video made. Thankfully in the end we sold 160 tickets, which covered the cost of the event, just. I believe it was a success and will forever be greatful to Kevin Dean who appeared for free that evening (not even expenses and he had to have an overnight stay).

Of course due to the lack of funds the video of the evening was recorded from my own cam-corder, operated by my daughter and son-in-law, and yes I agree the general sound and quality is bad, and here again I have to thank Jet, Kevin and The Rapiers for allowing its release at all, which is why it has been released only to those who attended and why each is numbered, so that hopefully they will not be found on ebay.

Hope this explains things a little and Mike no offence taken I asure you, I know the DVD isn’t a master piece, it is meant as a memento of the evening, Dave I’m sorry you couldn’t make the evening but hope you see why I could only offer the DVD as I did and Peter sorry you somehow missed hearing about the event, don’t know what else I could have done.

Dave Holbrook
jetharrisfanclub

Full Real Name: David Holbrook

Postby d jones » Tue May 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi David thanks for your response and setting the record/dvd straight.I for one fully understand your reasoning!!
PS i'd still like to join the fan club though!
many thanks.

Dave jones
d jones

Postby Mikey » Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm

jetharrisfanclub wrote: I know the DVD isn’t a master piece, it is meant as a memento of the evening

Dave Holbrook

Dave
Thanks for explaining the background to the event. I had no idea it was such a close run thing so you did remarkably well. And well done to Kevin Dean. As for saying the DVD isn't a masterpiece, well for me and I'm sure other Jet fans, it is!
Thanks to you and your family for putting on such a great evening.

Mike
Mikey

Postby kipper » Wed May 05, 2010 6:12 pm

jetharrisfanclub wrote:Hi Mike, Peter and Dave
Sorry have to admit I have never come onto this portion of the site, actually don’t really know what made me this time, but as I have, thought I would just respond, and I’ll try and keep it as short as possible.

In July 2008 I decided to hold a 70th Birthday for Jet in July 2009, I found a venue (capable of holding 300 people) and main bands, and had in mind a few surprises for Jet. I then sent out a snail mail shot to all current members of the Jet Harris Fan Club, as well as past members (approx 350 letters were sent out), I also started a thread on this site (well the old site then) and continued to take it to the top of the main board for, maybe a month six weeks, can’t actually remember how long now. On top of this I had a flyer produced which Leo’s Den kindly sent out with ever item they sold as well as advertising the party on their web site. By the January of 2009, despite all of this I barely had 100 tickets sold, so I took the decision to continue with the party, but scrap most of the idea’s that I had, as they would all have cost money, including getting a professional video made. Thankfully in the end we sold 160 tickets, which covered the cost of the event, just. I believe it was a success and will forever be greatful to Kevin Dean who appeared for free that evening (not even expenses and he had to have an overnight stay).

Of course due to the lack of funds the video of the evening was recorded from my own cam-corder, operated by my daughter and son-in-law, and yes I agree the general sound and quality is bad, and here again I have to thank Jet, Kevin and The Rapiers for allowing its release at all, which is why it has been released only to those who attended and why each is numbered, so that hopefully they will not be found on ebay.

Hope this explains things a little and Mike no offence taken I asure you, I know the DVD isn’t a master piece, it is meant as a memento of the evening, Dave I’m sorry you couldn’t make the evening but hope you see why I could only offer the DVD as I did and Peter sorry you somehow missed hearing about the event, don’t know what else I could have done.

Dave Holbrook

thanks for that dave all clear now sounds like you all had a greatime and well done od carrying on and taking a risk money wise. peter
kipper

Return to People