Charlie Gillett

For anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Charlie Gillett

Postby RayL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Back in 1970, there were no books about rock'n'roll. None. No-one treated it as a serious subject until Charlie Gillett came along. Charlie's book, The Sound Of The City, was the first and has been in print ever since. In his recent interview for the Pipeline Convention 2009 DVD, Trev Faull comments how people have told him that his book '60s Brit-Pop Instrumentals has cost them money because when they learnt about certain records, they had to have them. Well, the same was true for me with Charlie Gillett's book back in 1970. Over the years I've been gradually gathering all those nuggets of musical gold that I first learnt about in The Sound Of The City.

Charlie went on to be a radio DJ, a record producer and many other things but his story ended on March 17, aged 68. Read the book. Charlie got it right first time.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Charlie Gillett

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks Ray. Always sad to hear of someone's passing. These days - 68 is way too young. Charlie Gillett was one of my early heroes re: chronicling / writing. Your summary of his career is spot on.

Rob
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Return to People