Jet's Funeral

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Jet's Funeral

Postby David Martin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:22 am

Jet Harris RIP.jpg
The cover of the Order of Service
(174.21 KiB) Downloaded 14816 times

A beautiful, if windswept, setting to say goodbye to Jet...

Jet's simple, woven bamboo coffin was adorned with a simple floral arrangement, his little black trilby hat, and his MBE resting on a purple silk cushion, angled so we could all see it...
So many people were there - from this community, Des McNeil from Belfast, Derek, Amanda, Rob Bradford, Hoffers, Howard. Sorry if I missed you but I don't know everyone by sight... And then... Tich (from DDDBMT), Colin & John from Rapiers, Bruce, Brian, Lic, AlanJ, Warren, Phil K, Clem Cattini, Barry Gibson, Leos Den John, Laurel from Tangent, Jess Conrad, and, literally scores more. As the names come back to me, I'll add them... Charlie Hall...Keith West...Big Mick...

Rob Bradford read a simple, heart-rending note from Jet's son - I didn't even know he had one - and then set out on his emotional eulogy of Jet, covering his whole life and musical history... with no time left for a reading, we filed past Jet's coffin to say goodbye and then out into sunshine, where Billie Davis released a white dove which I watched until it disappeared.

I don't do funerals very well when the person concerned is of such real significance in my life, so after a few good byes and a brief word with Janet, Jet's partner, I left for the journey home.

So many people - so much love...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Jet's Funeral

Postby George Geddes » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks, David. I was good that some fans were there to represent the wider community who held Jet in such high regard.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Twang46 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks David

A very fitting tribute

Dick
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby OLDEREK » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Daily Echo
Stars attend funeral of guitarist Jet Harris in Basingstoke

IT WAS more than 50 years ago that they started together in what was to become the most famous instrumental band in the world.

And yesterday it was an emotional moment as rhythm guitarist Bruce Welch bid farewell to his Shadows’ band mate, bass guitarist Jet Harris.

Bruce joined other ’60s pop stars and Shadows fans who packed the chapel at Basingstoke Crematorium.

Later they filed past and gently touched the bamboo coffin on which laid Jet’s trademark hat and the MBE which he had received from the Queen for his services to the music industry.

Speaking to the Daily Echo, Bruce said: “He was a superstar bass player and a founder member of The Shadows. I have so many happy memories of working with him.”

He said that the next Shadowmania – an annual convention for Shadows fans – would be a special tribute to Jet.

Other ’60s stars at the service included Marty Wilde, Jess Conrad, Clem Cattini, Mike Berry, Brian Bennett, Billie Davis and The Rapiers who backed Jet for more than 25 years.

The mourners were led by Jet’s partner Janet Hemingway, 61, who as a starry- eyed 14 year-old queued at a stage door near her home town to get his autograph.

Forty-five years later they met again and fell in love.

She was by his side when the 71 yearold legendary guitarist, who lived in Bembridge, Isle of Wight, died two weeks ago at Winchester after losing his brave two-year battle against cancer.

Up to his death he had been touring with the rock ’n’ roll nostalgia show Hit Parade Heroes, and his last performance was at Fareham’s Ferneham Hall where, despite being gravely ill, he won a standing ovation.

Jet appeared on 24 number one hits including Living Doll with Sir Cliff Richard and Diamonds with former Shadows drummer, the late Tony Meehan.

It was Diamonds which yesterday brought down the final curtain on a musician who will always be remembered as one of rock ’n’ roll’s greatest bass guitarists.

• In memoriam donations for the Jet Harris Memorial Fund may be sent care of Richard Steel and Partners, Alderman House, 12-14, City Road. Winchester, SO23 8SD.
OLDEREK

Postby Amanda » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi,

I like David, headed home straight afterwards, walking out near Jet's coffin at the end
really hit me and released the floodgates of built up feelings of going to 3 funerals in
just over a month, a cousin and another close friend.

A fitting tribute to a Legend!

On a happier note, it was great to see Bruce after his recent health problems!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby Arpeggio » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am

So many people there. I didn't see either David or Amanda there & so I 'omitted' them from my list of attendees!! Because it was so crowded & people were milling around in different areas - it was always going to be difficult. Plus....the emotion of the day. I knew when I tried to remember who I'd seen there that I would likely miss somebody out...even though I started to think about a write - up the very next morning. Equally, there were people I simply didn't see personally at all. The other way around, Dave Hawley, for example, was surprised when I told him about three people who he knew well were there - but he hadn't seen them. Such is life. Without David Martin's immense efforts for Shadowmusic over so many years - where would we all be??

Best wishes,

Rob
Arpeggio

Postby David Martin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:28 pm

That's kind Rob... but it WAS that kind of occasion... didn't see Marty and many more myself. Too bound up with my own emotions, I think...

I shall never forget standing in front of that coffin with the little hat and the MBE thinking about what Jet had given to me and remembering time spent together.

A sad day, but a glorious legacy...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Amanda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Rob,

No probs, I saw you but couldn't put a name to the face!!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby drakula63 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 am

Managed to give Jet a mention on the Guestbook of this great site. I often drop by for a little look...

http://www.basingstoke.me.uk/guestview2010.html
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Return to People