BENNY PARKER AND THE PHANTOMS. 60s group.

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

BENNY PARKER AND THE PHANTOMS. 60s group.

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue May 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi all,
During the Spotnick's early 60s visit to the UK, I believe to record, The Spotnicks in London LP, they did a gig at the York street Baths Hall in Barnsley.
The supporting act on that tuesday night gig was Benny Parker and the Phantoms. These were regular performers at the Baths Hall tues and sat gigs.
Any info regarding the group would be appreciated.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Re: BENNY PARKER AND THE PHANTOMS. 60s group.

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Geoff,

I've just come across this website, giving some sketchy, anecdotal information:-

http://forums.examiner.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4187

I see there was a Benny Parker and the Dynamics who recorded briefly for Joe Meek in the 60s, the same one I wonder?

Regards,

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Yes this is the same group as Benny Parker and the Dynamics who recorded one Decca single for Joe Meek in 1964
Boys and Girls/ You ll be on your way (Decca F11944)
Both sides are written by D HESP with Lawrence (Joe Meek I suspect taking a co credit on B side)
So this confirms same connection.
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:08 pm

The composer credit on the label to Lawrence, rightly or wrongly, may well have been Meek himself, although only on the B side. He used various pseudonyms including often "Robert Duke".

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi Bill
First of all apologies for the late reply but I thought my hunt for info on the Phantoms had died a death. Thank you for the info provided.
My own search for info, last year, led me to a website in Benidorm as an old friend of Benny Parkers, fron the Huddersfield area, sent me an e-mail with the following info
Jeff Atkinson, original lead guitar. Dave Hesp Fender/Vox. Vick Vickerman Fender/ Vox. He had got this from his old musician friends in and arround the Huddersfield area. No one could remember the drummer's name, but they were all in agreement that he had a limp!!! They only knew the group as Benny Parker and the Phantoms.
Since I got your info I have been trying to get hold of a copy of the 45 Deeca F11944/ B P and The Dynamics, but no luck yet.
Thank you again for the info and if you do hear of a copy, of the record for sale, please let me know.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Geoff,

As a recently joined member of the forum, I was reading through some of the earlier posts and spotted your query - the type of challenge I can never resist! A friend of mine knows one or two dealers in vintage singles, so I'll see if he can make some relevant enquiries about Decca F 11944. The Meek association will probably make it hard to find, but you never know your luck!

Regards,

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby anniv 63 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm

The A side Boys and Girls is on a CD compilation RGM rarities vol 2- The Beat Group Era on the Diamond label cat no GEMCD016.
Might still be available via Amazon Hmv etc. Single 45 is pretty rare these days unless it is being sold as part of a collection of Joe Meek beat 45s.
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi Bill/Anniv63
I would be grateful if you came up with one, or where I could buy one Bill. I am myself a vinyl fan so if we dont have any luck with the 45 I will try the CD rout.
I tried Amazon for the disc I will now try for the CD.
Thank's again.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Return to People